Call to arms

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Im in the last few months now. You know Akhiran passed what 5 months ago and it seems like five years with all the work I have put in. I may get through before year end if I keep this pace up. Some time is opening up as Im taking a break from contracting to concentrate on finishing up although v4 prep will not be easy. We will have to pass four exams - written - OEQ - lab - troubleshooting. OEQ isn't funny. It came in because of written dumping and reallab cheating. I would hate to tank the lab on 5 questions, but honestly even the best prepared candidate could do so.

Anyone seriously putting the IE hours in the next 6 months can post up here and we can keep in touch offline. Not many IE passers on this forum the two years I have been here. The hours required to prepare properly if you are fully engaged at work and at home are difficult to amass on a regular basis over a long period of time. Not many people can hack it. It is difficult!

Regards

Turgon

Comments

• CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    I'm with you brother. I know it won't be easy and I think about that everyday. V4 will not be easy. Trust me, I am going through MPLS VPN's right now as I study for the BGP/MPLS composite exam. However, I am starting to catch on to them and that is awesome. Like you said, it takes great dedication the CCIE. One must put in a lot of time, money and hard work. The first two I have now, but the last one is the deal breaker. There are several guys at my work going for their CCIE R&S as well so that helps my situation. Whenever I have questions about stuff we can bounce theory off eachother.

We'll get through it. Just put your head down and keep on studying!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The topic made me believe you had actually scheduled something. Way to get my hopes up ;)

Just keep plugging away dude; you're going to get through this before you know it. I'm still following your journal, even though I don't know what half of it means icon_lol.gif
  • nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Turgon,

With the effort you've put into your studies for many years, based on your posts from this forum, and your forum sig, you should be ready to take your lab. If you can get a 3.0 seat still, I would take a shot. Don't fall into the trap of studying for years (a candidate with already done 18 months - 2 years of good, not hard study) without taking any attempts at all, you just end up psyching yourself out when it's lab time. The lab even with the OEQs, isn't the monster some more well known CCIE candidates that get around in other CCIE forums make it out to be. It might kick your ass the first(few) time(s), but that's more to do with the time pressure/cascading fail with final grading, than the actual technology / tasks on it.
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nullrouter wrote: »
    Turgon,

With the effort you've put into your studies for many years, based on your posts from this forum, and your forum sig, you should be ready to take your lab. If you can get a 3.0 seat still, I would take a shot. Don't fall into the trap of studying for years (a candidate with already done 18 months - 2 years of good, not hard study) without taking any attempts at all, you just end up psyching yourself out when it's lab time. The lab even with the OEQs, isn't the monster some more well known CCIE candidates that get around in other CCIE forums make it out to be. It might kick your ass the first(few) time(s), but that's more to do with the time pressure/cascading fail with final grading, than the actual technology / tasks on it.

Some good advice. I will keep an eye on those slots!
  • liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd love to be right there with you this next 6 months, but I think I'm about a year behind you in that respect. It must be quite a relief to be able to focus on just the CCIE, no work hassle. I would say studying full-time is hard too, staying focused for a full day would be challenging...I find work breaks up my studying quite nicely sometimes. Although I'm sure that once you got into a rythm for studying full-time it would be heaps better than trying to fit it around your work schedule.

I would agree with nullrouter and take a shot at the 3.0 lab...but a 2k shot is a big ask ;)

I wish you the best, you don't need luck, but I look forward to the progress updates and the eventual pass!

liquid
    blog.insomniacnetwork.com
    liquid6 wrote: »
    I would agree with nullrouter and take a shot at the 3.0 lab...but a 2k shot is a big ask ;)

A 4.0 lab with just as much chance to fail would still be 2k, or 2.5k for some of us with non USD :p

Web Blog of sorts:
  • liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oh definitely, I was just saying that instead of taking the 3.0 lab not completely "ready", by your own standard/view it would be a financial risk to take it...rather than waiting until you felt your were "ready" which might mean waiting until 4.0.

i'm looking forward to the changes in 4.0 but i'm not in the last stage of my prep.

liquid
    blog.insomniacnetwork.com
    liquid6 wrote: »
    i'm looking forward to the changes in 4.0 but i'm not in the last stage of my prep.

I very interested in how the troubleshooting section works out, should be "give me" points for those of us that fix network faults in the real world :)

Web Blog of sorts:
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    I am thinking its gonna end up random goofball troubleshooting tasks, but I will try to stay optimistic. I took the CCIE twice and the exam that felt more recent also felt more relevant so that is good I guess.
    nullrouter wrote: »
    I very interested in how the troubleshooting section works out, should be "give me" points for those of us that fix network faults in the real world :)

It should suit me fine because that's what I do. Add to which I have now taken a break from contracting for a couple of months so I can really pull things together now some serious study time had opened up. Im feeling pretty good about things as studies have gone really well the last few months.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd agree with giving it a shot, treat it as recon if nothing else. Until you do you have no way to no if you are really ready and can put it off indefinitely if the aim is to make sure you pass first time.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    I'd agree with giving it a shot, treat it as recon if nothing else. Until you do you have no way to no if you are really ready and can put it off indefinitely if the aim is to make sure you pass first time.

Its looking like I will sit this year but not v3. There are no slots available now from the looks of things.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Still keep your eyes on the prize.... in case someone pull out of a v3.0 spot at the last minute.... I'm sure there will be a few....

As for me.... knocking over the last CCIP exam.... then I'll begin my quest... I'm actually starting to hint towards giving the SP track a serious go....

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I'm still in the game, although not really in a defcon 3 or anything like that. I still have close to a year before my next attempt, and have been busy with a move, a new job, and a couple of side projects. I plan to step in up during the winter months more.

I still plan to get those numbers though. I have too much time and money invested to ever not.
  • ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I scheduled the CCIE SP for Sept 11. NO, not for any patriotic reason.

Nothing motivates you more than having an impending and non-refundable, immutable test date approaching...

Just wrapping up some INE videos.. then will blow through the practice labs, read the command references... and hope for the best..
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
    ccie15672 wrote: »
    I scheduled the CCIE SP for Sept 11. NO, not for any patriotic reason.

Nothing motivates you more than having an impending and non-refundable, immutable test date approaching...

Just wrapping up some INE videos.. then will blow through the practice labs, read the command references... and hope for the best..

Good luck Derek.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ya know Dynamik was right, there really are a lot of Dereks in the Cisco biz. I think it comes down to something that suits the name. Derek Bond? - spy's out....Derek Pitt - super actor's a no.....Derek Klum - Transgender Heidi clone probably not the best choice....but Geek, AHA!
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got faith in you Turgon. I'm behind schedule..originally was going to take the lab in approx. 9 months. Now, It looks like I'll be taking the written before the new year, and the written late next summer if all goes well. Main reason for the delay is that I have a wedding coming up in October, and then I'm hoping to spend an enjoyable Christmas with my new family before having to head overseas (again).
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I got faith in you Turgon. I'm behind schedule..originally was going to take the lab in approx. 9 months. Now, It looks like I'll be taking the written before the new year, and the written late next summer if all goes well. Main reason for the delay is that I have a wedding coming up in October, and then I'm hoping to spend an enjoyable Christmas with my new family before having to head overseas (again).

Family matters should take precidence. Stay patient and keep chipping away at it and you should be fine!