Options

Cisco Equipment

ITguy83ITguy83 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I was talking to a guy I know who works for Cisco about how I am going to start study for the CCNA. He then told me that he has a bunch of extra equipment around his house he can borrow/give me depending on what it is and to let him know what I need. My question is what is needed for a good lab/ what should I ask for.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Posting what he has would be a good start.
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    You can always hop on ebay and type in CCNA Lab or go to sites like CiscoKits.com to get an idea what they are selling as NA level labs.

I would give you a more detailed answer, but I'm trying to work that out myself. :) So far, I only know what switches I want (1x 3550 EMI, 2x2950-EI)
  • Options
    dshay25dshay25 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ciscokits.com "Lab Suggestions"
    CCNA Certification: CCNA, Cisco certification, Cisco routers, Cisco switches, Ci

This is a great place to start.

PS. Remember to plan ahead if you think you'll be going for further certifications after your CCNA.
    WIP:
    -A.S. in Networking and Communications
    -CCENT
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Tell him you would like a router to use as a frame relay switch -- with at least 4 ports.

And 3 more routers to use for routing practice (and OSPF DR/BDR elections) and frame-relay hub and spoke would be nice -- and at least one of those routers supporting SDM (and 802.1Q trunking for router on a stick) would be great. And if one of those 3 routers also happened to be an access server, that would just be peachy keen.

For switching, see if he has at least 2 2950 switches he can loan you -- and maybe an old 3rd switch to make your lab more interesting. You might want to ask about the 2950 with the "Enhanced Image" and if he thinks you could use those for your CCENT/CCNA studies (and if he has any of those).

And you might want to casually ask if he has copies of the official courseware and labs laying around you could also borrow....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ITguy83ITguy83 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry APD123 I could not post what he has because I do not know. All he said I have alot of equipment at my house just find out what you need and let me know. He also said the new stuff I can borrow but some of the older stuff I can just have as long as I dont sell it on ebay. Lol
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am going to try to talk to him tommorow and try set up a time to pick up the equipment. I know he has been working for Cisco for a very long time so hopefully I can set up a really great lab.
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    ITguy83 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was talking to a guy I know who works for Cisco about how I am going to start study for the CCNA. He then told me that he has a bunch of extra equipment around his house he can borrow/give me depending on what it is and to let him know what I need. My question is what is needed for a good lab/ what should I ask for.

Thanks for the help.
    Post what he has.

But 3 basic routers and 3 basic switches should be plenty to get you started.