Lab Setup Question

jukejuke Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am just getting started with my CCNA and I found a great deal locally on the following:

1) Cisco 2620 Series Router 1x Fast Ethernet 10/100 Interface, 1 Ethernet + 1x T1 CSU/DSU Interface
2) Cisco 2620 Series Router 1x Fast Ethernet 10/100 Interface + 1x T1 CSU/DSU Interface + 4x Serial Interfaces
3) Cisco 2514 Series Access Router 2x Ethernet Interfaces (Ethernet transceivers included) + 2x Serial Interfaces
4) Cisco 1900 Series Switch 24 Port Vlan Capable / Enterprise IOS
5) Cisco 3500XL Series Switch 24 Port Vlan Capable.

I am in the process of configuring everything and have read a ton of articles about how to setup a lab, but I have not seen much on connecting the routers together using ethernet. The setup did not come with any serial cables and most of the advice that I see out there is based on a serial connection.

Shoud I connect all of the routers to the switches? Or can I chain them together with crossover cables. Which router should I use as the parent? I was thinking of using the 2620 with the 4 serials so that I can set it up for FR when I get some serial cables.

I eventually will get the serials if I really need them, but for now, help me get this all connected. I may be way off in my thinking, I am just getting started in the networking world. icon_cheers.gif

Thanks in advance

Josh

Comments

• captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    When in doubt, you can always check the Cisco website for information. I searched T1 CSU/DSU and found the following Understanding the 1-Port T1 CSU/DSU WAN Interface Card (WIC-1DSU-T1). This would be where I would start.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    juke wrote: »
    4) Cisco 1900 Series Switch 24 Port Vlan Capable / Enterprise IOS
    This switch is useless for all Cisco certifications. It doesn't run IOS or even CatOS. It gives you an IOSish command line interface but it isn't the same.
    juke wrote: »
    5) Cisco 3500XL Series Switch 24 Port Vlan Capable.
    This is okay as your third switch in your lab. You need a couple Catalyst 2950 switches.

As it is a lab, how they're connected will change depending on what you're doing.
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I have three 2600 routers connected via the WIC-1DSU-T1 cards and it acts just like a serial interface normally (so far :) ) All I did was set them up as I would a serial interface with the IP and set the clock rate on one end of each connection. Then I could ping and route just as I would with a WIC-1T and serial cables. :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1