Options

Any1 know how to setup a SNMP???

william_yeowilliam_yeo Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
i'm using PRTG Traffic Grapher. any1 know how to setup a SNMP server??

pls some guidelines/steps.....

thanks in advance. ! :D

Comments

• Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is easy as pie. At a minimum you only need to have an RO community string. The community string is like a password that is used to validate SNMP requests. RO means you are only allowed to read the MIB variables. RW means you can set and read MIB values. In SNMP set=write and get=read. The following config sets up both a set and get "password" It also. By default most applications use public as the RO and private as the RW. You

snmp-server community myROpassword RO
    snmp-server community myRWpassword RW

You can set up traps and other things but it should not be necessary for the PRTG application. I believe PRTG only allows gets, so you will only need to use the RO line, even though the RW line works as well.
  • Options
    how bout MRTG???? any1 here using it ?
  • Options
    got it ! thankss ...... and need to set the SNMP version like V1,v2c ans v3..... now trying on MRTP ! hhehehe
    tunerX wrote:
    It is easy as pie. At a minimum you only need to have an RO community string. The community string is like a password that is used to validate SNMP requests. RO means you are only allowed to read the MIB variables. RW means you can set and read MIB values. In SNMP set=write and get=read. The following config sets up both a set and get "password" It also. By default most applications use public as the RO and private as the RW. You

snmp-server community myROpassword RO
    snmp-server community myRWpassword RW

You can set up traps and other things but it should not be necessary for the PRTG application. I believe PRTG only allows gets, so you will only need to use the RO line, even though the RW line works as well.