Hey citrix guys and girls

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I was looking on the citrix website and I noticed that A: the training of the CCA is free and B: XENSERVER is now a free download. I was thinking about signing up for the training and getting Xenserver to play with. I was possibly thinking that maybe (further down the road) to do a CCA ceritification on XenServer. I would like to know (after I do the certs in my sig) would be it a worth while investment? Are people still using Cirtix heavly? Can someone download Xenserver, Go the training, read some books and get CCA certified or is it something that best done by people who already work with Citrix. A little bit about me:

I am a 21 year old helpdesk agent and I am very edger to get off of the helpdesk.

I am studying networking (CCNA) Linux, (LPIC), wireless networking (CWNA) and Security (S+).

I use VMware on my laptop from time to time.

I probably don't know as much about virtualization as I should.

I have heard people talking about VCP but that is way to much for me.

Comments

• stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    TBA the XenServer exam is not that hard and it is useful to understand their Hypervisor inplementation. Realistically I don't see XenServer opening many doors in the employment market, even if technologically it is a better architecture.

I work for a Citrix Partner and we have very few XenServer installs even in shops that are Citrix and MS, they still often opt for VMware.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stupidboy wrote: »
    TBA the XenServer exam is not that hard and it is useful to understand their Hypervisor inplementation. Realistically I don't see XenServer opening many doors in the employment market, even if technologically it is a better architecture.

I work for a Citrix Partner and we have very few XenServer installs even in shops that are Citrix and MS, they still often opt for VMware.

Would another CCA cert be better?
    knwminus wrote: »
    Would another CCA cert be better?

Is Citrix something that you are working with at the moment?
    What happens if you put Citrix in to your local job site?
    Do you have a passion for Citrix?

You said you want to get off the helpdesk, where do you want to go? Linux, Networking and Security certs on the go point at a Security position, I don't think Citrix is going to help you there.

All the companies I have worked for are either Citrix shops or Citrix partners so Citrix knowledge is a requirement and the CCA backs up your understanding. Not only that I actually enjoy working with Citrix products (SSSSSHHHHH don't tell anyone icon_wink.gif)
    stupidboy wrote: »
    Is Citrix something that you are working with at the moment?
    What happens if you put Citrix in to your local job site?
    Do you have a passion for Citrix?

You said you want to get off the helpdesk, where do you want to go? Linux, Networking and Security certs on the go point at a Security position, I don't think Citrix is going to help you there.

All the companies I have worked for are either Citrix shops or Citrix partners so Citrix knowledge is a requirement and the CCA backs up your understanding. Not only that I actually enjoy working with Citrix products (SSSSSHHHHH don't tell anyone icon_wink.gif)

We do work with citrix here (not me personally icon_sad.gif)
    Not sure if I understand the second question...
    Passion, not really I just really really really want a better job and Im getting tired...

I would like to go into network engineering but it seems that getting there will be impossible until I get 10 years of experience and CCIE...
    knwminus wrote: »
    We do work with citrix here (not me personally icon_sad.gif)
    Not sure if I understand the second question...
    Passion, not really I just really really really want a better job and Im getting tired...

I would like to go into network engineering but it seems that getting there will be impossible until I get 10 years of experience and CCIE...

If you want to work with Citrix then a CCA in XenApp is a good place to start. Citrix have some many CCAs to choose from it seems they have lost their way with the number of products they are offering.

Hang in there and don't wish your life away, keep focused. You'll see my certs are across various products, it has done me no good at all. Jack of many trades, master of none and treated accordingly.
    You are probably right. im just getting desperate as the days go on....sigh

back to the books icon_study.gif