spanning treee

shelly117shelly117 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey all,
i am new in cisco for practical use.in my company they using mst as a spanning tree protocol.but now they wnat to mugrate from mst to pvst.how can i do it ?please give me few suitable solutions.we r using cisco 4500 series switch and 6500 series switch

Comments

• kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    With that type of switches I am guessing you have a lot of users so my advice is to ask an upper level support engineer for your company if you can HELP in the migration. Do you even have a basic understanding of spanning tree and what it is used to do?
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • shelly117shelly117 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kryolla wrote: »
    With that type of switches I am guessing you have a lot of users so my advice is to ask an upper level support engineer for your company if you can HELP in the migration. Do you even have a basic understanding of spanning tree and what it is used to do?

actually i know why using spannig tree but i dont have much more idea how .but i just need to know the basic thing to migrate mst to pvst.i read lots of aricle bur all r related to migrate pvst to mst.
    how many switches, vlans and what is your current topology for layer 2, any traffic engineering you want to do? Why are you going to PVST?
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    [IGNORE - Let this be a lesson.... verify b4 posting]

Just thinkin out aloud here....

I haven't used 4500 series switches before.....but I do know they are considered legacy... do they even support pvst?

'spanning-tree mode ?'

I have a feeling they only support 802.1.d(IEEE STP) & 802.1s(MST)... this could be the underlying reason asto why MST was chosen in the first place.

Something to double-check....

Now I'm off to the gym...;)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wait, what? 4500 are considered legacy? I'm pretty sure this isn't correct. icon_scratch.gif
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    yeah ignore my post..... I'm thinking about 4000 series.... as we have an old chassis here....

My bad... ;)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • shelly117shelly117 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually we are using 2 6500 seris switch where we r doing few routing and 2 4500 series.here is 6500 spanning configuration:
    spanning-tree mode mst
    spanning-tree portfast default
    no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission
    spanning-tree extend system-id
    !
    spanning-tree mst configuration
    name hhhh
    revision 1
    instance 1 vlan 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 40, 102-103, 200, 202, 204, 239
    instance 2 vlan 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 28, 240, 252, 254
    !
    spanning-tree mst 1 priority 4096
    spanning-tree mst 2 priority 28672
    And this is another 6500 configuration

spanning-tree mode mst
    spanning-tree portfast default
    no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission
    spanning-tree extend system-id
    !
    spanning-tree mst configuration
    name hhhh
    revision 1
    instance 1 vlan 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 40, 102-103, 200, 202, 204, 239
    instance 2 vlan 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 28, 240, 252, 254
    !
    spanning-tree mst 1 priority 28672
    spanning-tree mst 2 priority 24576

this two 6500 switch are core switch and other 2 4500 series are connected with client.
    right now we r running mst but my office management want to pvst.Actually i am new in that office.i have just joint last week.

so waiting for solution

thanks for all reply
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Just picking up on this, any reasons why I got a PM asking for a soloution ?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    You wont find a solution here as every network is different and traffic patterns will be different. If someone did do something similiar yours will be different. You only started there 1 week so I assume you dont know the network yet to take on this project. I would recommend this since you are new, without any co-workers sending you diagrams or using any NMS see if you can map out the network at layer 2 and why they engineered a path a certain way. If you can do that then I would think you would be ready for the migration and any troubleshooting that might come with it. If you are going to assist an engineer than ask a lot of questions. Also view cisco docs on migrating from PVST to MSTand try to reverse it and apply it to your network. Following a MAC address at a hop by hop basis and a thorough understanding of spanning tree I think would make this project a success. Good Luck