Options

Can anyone tell me what this means? (%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER...)

jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 12.3 may not be correctly understood.

If I'm understanding this correctly, even though I have IOS 12.3 I may not be able to take advantage off all of it's "features" - I assume because of the Bootstrap Version? Or maybe due to hardware limitations?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have always got that message when I had a config that went with a newer IOS. So when I moved from say 12.4 to a 12.3 I would get that.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    jbrad95706 wrote: »
    System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
    2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 12.3 may not be correctly understood.

If I'm understanding this correctly, even though I have IOS 12.3 I may not be able to take advantage off all of it's "features" - I assume because of the Bootstrap Version? Or maybe due to hardware limitations?

Thanks! :)
    %SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER:
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225

Thanks, that's a useful link!

It says, "Explanation: The software detected that the configuration saved in memory was written by a newer software release. There might be commands saved in memory that are not implemented by the older software release.

Recommended Action: Examine all the messages printed while the router was booting. For each message about an unknown command, determine whether that feature is required. If so, upgrade to a newer software release that supports that feature."

What configuration is it talking about? (Is it just saying "The IOS is newer than this hardware came with."?)

I ask because I erased the startup/running configs when I starting playing with them, so I assume it can't be talking about them, and I'm not aware of any other configs. Maybe as I get further along in my studies I will run across the info... icon_study.gif
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    !
    ! No configuration change since last restart
    !
    version 12.4
    !

You will receive aforementioned message if you paste this snippet into router which has booted up with 12.2 IOS.

Just a simple heads up, that not every feature configured may work.

Actually you can experience unexpected issues even when changing IOS subversions.