Questions regarding CCNA semester 1

CrznCrzn Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,

To start off I'm new to these forums, and currently studying for my CCNA, I've almost completed my first Semester and onto the last exam.. however I have a problem.

Pretty much as soon as the new college term starts I have to take the last exam, at the moment though my tutor is away on holiday, and at any rate he's not too good at explaining things.

So as you can probably understand, I'm in need of some help and unsure where to go to get it.

If you could see your way fit to maybe just answering one of these questions I'd be very appreciative, as I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Generally I'm finding that I have found conflicting evidence or find that the questions are so ambiguous that, I'm unsure what to do and need some explaining I feel.

The reason I could do with some answers to the questions posted is that should I come up against similar questions in the exam, what would I mark as the answer?

anyway, lets get on and see the questions.

Question 1

Which of the following is a drawback of the CSMA/CD access method?

• Collisions can decrease network performance.
  • It is more complex than non-deterministic protocols.
  • Deterministic media access protocols slow network performance.
  • CSMA/CD LAN technologies are only available at slower speeds than other LAN technologies.

This is question Q5 from the Chapter 9 exam.

The given answer here for the question is option 1, however I answered with option 4.
The reason I answered such is that I thought option one is really just a statement and more a drawback of half duplex than CSMA/CD.

It seems that I am wrong though, but can't see how the answer fits the question.

Question 2

14837.jpg
Refer to the exhibit. A student working in the lab selects a cable that is wired as shown. Which connection types can successfully be made with this cable? (Choose two.)

• connecting a PC to a router's console port
  • connecting two routers together via their fast ethernet ports
  • connecting two switches together at gigabit speeds
  • connecting a PC to a switch at Gigabit Ethernet speeds
  • connecting two devices with the same interface type at Fast Ethernet speeds

This is Chapter 10's question number 1

In this question options 2 and 5 are deemed correct.

However I answered 2 and 3

The cable is a crossover cable
My question here is that ok, while I can see how option 3 is incorrect given the gigabit speeds, option 5 would seem like a trick question as you could connect a computer and a switch lets say as they both have the same interface type, but you wouldn't do it if you expected them to work.

While in option 5 there's a chance that you could be wrong, (if it's a trick question as hubs, switches, routers and pc's have the same interface type.) and there's the posibility that you could be right (given that if you were just talking about the devices that you would connect together with a crossover cable, not "any two devices with and RJ 45 interface")

In this situation would you always go for the answer that could be seen as partially correct? and does this follow suit throughout the Cisco courses? or does it change back and forth? sometimes you should pick trick answers and sometimes the trick answers are incorrect. as in my experience the exams are very ambiguously worded and don't define the boundaries of the questoins very well, in this predicament any answer could be taken either way, and in my experience in exam condions often are.

Question 3

i128311n1v1.jpg
The connection between routers B and C has been successfully tested. However, after rebooting router C, the administrator noticed the response time between networks 10.10.3.0 and 10.10.4.0 is slower. Ping between the two routers is successful. A trace route indicates three hops from router B to router C. What else can be done to troubleshoot the problem?

• Ping router B S0/1 connection from router C.
  • Trace the connection between router B to router C S0/1.
  • Issue a show ip route command in router B to verify routing is enabled.
  • Issue a show ip interface brief command on router C.

This is question 5 from the chapter 11 exam.

In the example S0/0/0 between routers B & C is clearly down

The option Deemed as correct is option 4

I answered with option 3

My queston here is really, why wouldn't you use option 3 as it seem's just as valid as option 4 given the circumstances.

That's it for the questions I've had troubles with, if you managed to get this far, thank you for reading it again If you can help me out with just one answer I would be very grateful.

If you're reading this and on your way to completing your CCNA too, then becareful of questoins such as these I guess.

Either way, thanks for reading folks, It's much appreciated.

Comments

• jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    Going to take a shot the questions… I don't have my NA yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Question 1 is asking for a drawback of CSMA/CD – Option 4 is basically saying “There are better options.” this isn’t really answering the question. Option 1 is a fact, and is a drawback of CSMA/CD.

Question 2 I was thinking 2,3,5 - as I'm reading it, answer 5 says that 2,3 are correct... icon_confused.gif:

Question 3 I would assume routing is enabled because the traffic is getting routed. Show ip int bri will show you what interfaces are up/down and their ip. Running this command would show you that the int is down/up.
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Tsk,tsk jbrad. Jumping on a homework thread. icon_lol.gif
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    If these are from the cisco academy tests... should we be posting them? I think it is just getting used to answering with the most correct answer. I find that deducting the wrong answers really help on cisco academy/cert test.
  • jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    Tsk,tsk jbrad. Jumping on a homework thread. icon_lol.gif

His opening story was good, I thought he was just looking for additional info. icon_redface.gif

That said, if he puts my answers on his homework - he is doing so at his own risk. icon_lol.gif I don't even have my CCENT.
  • XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    I'm not sure posting content from the Cisco 1 curriculum is a good idea. I also am unsure how you got out of the semester without taking the final exam since you need to pass this course to move on to Cisco 2.

I would honestly go back through the course and read CSMA/CD and IOS commands.

As far as the ambiguous wording, the point is to make sure you know your stuff. The ability to sift through the irrelevant stuff to find the information that is pertinent to the problem is a basic skill you should start learning now as it's going to be something you'll end up needing to use everyday.

*note* If his story holds true, he has taken these tests already and can see the answer via the student gradebook. He's just wondering why one answer is better than another. The fact he hasn't taken the final exam makes me skeptical though.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • CrznCrzn Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey folks, thanks for the replies, haven't been too close to a computer for a while so apologies for the delay in responding.

The questions posted are from the chapter exams, which have indeed come from the gradebook.
    These are the questions that I've gotten wrong throughout the tests unfortunately and unless I get 100% I get frustrated.
    I've got my end of semester final exam coming up, the reason I was wondering about these questions as I said is because my tutor's not great at explaining things and I'll not have a chance to talk to him before I take the final exam, but also because as I stated the ambiguous wording can de-rail your thinking in an exam and these questions I felt were very misleading, which when I take my final exam I want to cut down to a minimum.

Granted I've been using the "rule out everything that's not logical and use what's left" method of identifying the answers, but these ones didn't sit right with me, and so well.. if in doubt ask. right!

One thing I'm still not getting though is that CSMA/CD is a MAC method, that detects collisions and generally watches the line before putting the frames on the media. and yes "Collisions can decrease network performance", that's kind of basic thinking, surely though the fact that collisions decrease network performance is a fault of half duplex or overloading the network bus or both, as there's nothing CSMA/CD can do about collisions other than detect them when they happen and Obviously not put bits on the media when there's other devices using it, but that's fundamanetal to the whole basis of CSMA/CD and as long as there's latency there's going to be collisions with half duplex and all CSMA/CD can do to stop them is watch the line, that still doesn't relate the answer to the question in a way that's particularly relevant, still, if you guys think there's more of this to come then it should be somewhat interesting going through the rest of the CC courses.

Thank you for the relpies to the questions jbrad95706, concerning question 2 you came up with approximately the same answer as myself.

Concerning question 3, well I think that's probably an answer that will come with experience using the devices more than anything, thank you for your take on it, i figured that you could show IP route on router B's S0/0/0 and that would tell you if it was facing the corresponding port on router C, hence I didn't see why the answer they gave was more relevant than the one I marked.

Again, many thanks for reading.
  • XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    You've answered your own questions there just so you know:

The whole context of the CSMA/CD question is if you're relying on it in the network, what can the problems be. Degradation via collisions is the main answer. CSMA/CD doesn't come into play on full duplex networks.

You should honestly sim out question 3. show ip route and show ip interface brief

Router#show ip int brief
    Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

FastEthernet0/0 unassigned YES manual administratively down down

FastEthernet0/1 unassigned YES manual administratively down down

Serial0/0/0 10.0.0.1 YES manual up up

Serial0/0/1 unassigned YES manual administratively down down

Vlan1 unassigned YES manual administratively down down

Router#show ip route
    Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
    D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
    N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
    E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP
    i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area
    * - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR
    P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

10.0.0.0/30 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 10.0.0.0 is directly connected, Serial0/0/0

Two completely different sets of information. You said yourself the link is down. Why would show ip route that shows routing protocol information give you any indication of the link status?

I would honestly e-mail the academy about your instructor. My instructor was okay, but not amazing. He was limited by the other students though as far as how much time he could spend with individuals. So when I got ahead he was stuck helping the others. I ended up teaching myself in Cisco 2/3/4 during semesters 2 and 3 and helping the instructors teach my fellow classmates.

Either way, I'm pretty sure the Cisco Academy would not like their content posted online so try to refrain from doing so again. Come up with a cool story maybe.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info