how to set up 2 routers, please help

jhntjhnt Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I'm not finishing reading book yet but I have 2 routers: 1 2501 & 2514 and I want to set them up. I just don't know how to set up the back to back cable and the transceiver in order to have 2 routers run into one PC. Please help. Thank you all.

Comments

• jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
  • jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    If you have a transceiver on each one and a crossover cable between the two then you would do something like.... (Don't quote me...)

On router 1

en
    conf t
    int e0
    ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    no shut

press ctrl + z

write mem

on router 2

en
    conf t
    int e0
    ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
    no shut

press ctrl + z

write mem

then you can ping back and forth - from r2

ping 192.168.1.1

and it should work.
  • jhntjhnt Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Jbrad. What about the transceiver, do I still have to connect them together or just don't have to. I am confused where they go.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    jhnt wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm not finishing reading book yet but I have 2 routers: 1 2501 & 2514 and I want to set them up. I just don't know how to set up the back to back cable and the transceiver in order to have 2 routers run into one PC. Please help. Thank you all.

jhnt,

You mentioned "I'm not finishing reading book yet..." Which book do you have?
  • hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    jhnt wrote: »
    Thanks Jbrad. What about the transceiver, do I still have to connect them together or just don't have to. I am confused where they go.

The 2500 routers dont have a ethernet port so you have to attach the transceivers to the AUI ports on the routers.
  • ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    The 2500 routers dont have a ethernet port so you have to attach the transceivers to the AUI ports on the routers.

yep. on mine it's the port on the left that says AUI. just connect the transceiver there on both of them then run a crossover ethernet cable between the transceivers. the interface will show up as ethernet 0.
    yep. on mine it's the port on the left that says AUI. just connect the transceiver there on both of them then run a crossover ethernet cable between the transceivers. the interface will show up as ethernet 0.

Awesome! I got it. Thanks to all for help. I just bought Todd Lammle CCNA book and just finished reading chapter 1. icon_sad.gif
  • elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't get discouraged JH! I was right were you are now a few weeks ago. Swimming trying to put everything into context. It will start to come together for you. TL has a good way of explaining everything so it starts to stick. I read 2 ch's then go back and re-read them and take more notes. It is starting to stick. I am just going to be finishing up CH 6 today.
  • ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    elphrank0 wrote: »
    Don't get discouraged JH! I was right were you are now a few weeks ago. Swimming trying to put everything into context. It will start to come together for you. TL has a good way of explaining everything so it starts to stick. I read 2 ch's then go back and re-read them and take more notes. It is starting to stick. I am just going to be finishing up CH 6 today.

Yeah I had to go back and forth between CBT nugget videos and TL's book and doing labs before I "got" most of it. after it clicks though it's not hard at all :)
  • elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I had to go back and forth between CBT nugget videos and TL's book and doing labs before I "got" most of it. after it clicks though it's not hard at all :)

Yea, I just got access to cbt nugget video's so I am going to start looking between these two now as well. I tell ya, this cert aint no joke! Take's a serious thinking cap and alot of memory.
    elphrank0 wrote: »
    Yea, I just got access to cbt nugget video's so I am going to start looking between these two now as well. I tell ya, this cert aint no joke! Take's a serious thinking cap and alot of memory.

That's right. Good luck to all.