Options

CCVP lab questions (yes I have read the FAQ)

FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
We would like to set up a CCNA:Voice / CCVP lab at work and I've been tasked with coming up with the purchase order. We have lots of VoIP experience just not with Cisco (actually ZERO with Cisco). I've read through the CCVP FAQ and I still have some questions. I'm very ignorant on Cisco Voice products, so I appreciate any help you can give.

Background
- Let's assume we're going to aim for a topology that emulates Multisite WAN with Centralized Call Processing Model and maybe Multisite WAN with Distributed Call Processing if we have enough money.

- The specific topology frequently recommended here seems to be the one from CCBOOTCAMP,, i.e. the topology detailed on page 7 of this document:

http://www.ccbootcamp.com/download/!Voice/voice-rack-access-faq-v2-8.pdf

This seems a fine baseline for us, so I'm going to use it for my questions. We don't have a Catalyst 6500--but we have four 2811 and Catalyst 3550 already.

Questions

1) Do you need CM/CUCM for multisite WAN Central Call Processing or can you get away with a single CME/CUCME (on a 2811 router) for multisite WAN Central Call Processing?

2) Can multiple CME/CUCME's be used for multisite WAN Distributed Call Processing or does the central site require CM/CUCM?

3) Can the UC520 (assuming we get one for the CCNA:Voice preparation) be used at a site for Distributed Call Processing? If not, how would it integrate into this CCBOOTCAMP like topology?

4) What exactly are FXO ports useful for? I don't think I see any FXO or FXS ports being used in the CCBOOTCAMP topology. I assume FXS is used to connect to POTS phones, but why would I need FXO ports unless I have an outside analog line to connect to? It seems in the CCBOOTCAMP topology, T1/E1s are used to exclusively connect to the PSTN?

5) I'm a little confused as to which T1 interface cards I should use? Coming from a LAN background, I see mutiflex/voice T1 modules and integrated CSU/DSU T1 interfaces? I aassume only the multiflex/voice T1s are relevant for CCVP?

6) What Cisco phones should be buy assuming money is not (too much) of an issue and we're buying new?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow, that’s a crap-load of questions :)

1-2) For a centralized call processing model you’re going to want at least 1 unified communications manager (server based, not on router). Good news is if you can get a hold of the software (think ebay) then you can run 1 (or more) call managers in VMWare with relative ease. Cisco structured the default license that comes with CUCM7 in a way that allows up to 3 nodes and around 150 endpoints right out of the box when installing in VMWare in a test environment.

You can setup multiple CME routers and have them communicate via voip dial-peers but it’s not really a true distributed model as they are basically stand alone sites. Once the call manager is up, the CME sites can be converted to SRST sites to give them the intelligence to complete calls in the event of a WAN outage.

3) I don’t believe that the UCs support SRST and or full blown CM integration. They will always be standalone sites.

4) FXS ports connect to analog devices, such as legacy phones and fax machines. FXO ports connect to the PSTN. You’ll also need to equip your 2811s with DSP resources to support the VIC2 cards.

5) Only the multiflex cards support voice (something like a VWIC-2MFT-T1). You will also need DSP resources for them as well. It’s common to setup dedicated lab routers to simulate the PSTN cloud. You should find more than enough info on that by doing a quick search on the forum.

6) I’m a big fan of the 7941 and 7961 phones. If you are on a budget then the 7940 and 7960 phones do just as well, they just have a lower quality LCD.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT