Options

CCNA or MCSE

noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there

Im looking to get into Sys Amdin at some stage and am MCSA Sec+ qualified working on Level 1 support.

Im currently job hunting to get a desktop support/junior system administrator job.

Do ye think Id be better to finish MSCE Sec+ (3 exams) or do ccna to prepare my for sys admin job when it comes along.

I can leave out certs incase I seem over qualified for jobs applied for just would like to study away

Thanks
Noel

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    CCNA is networking and MCSE is systems, if you want to be a sys admin it should be pretty clear which would be the most beneficial.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think a CCNA is complementary to an MCSE, but I wouldn't put my MCSE on hold to get it. You might want to consider working on that once you finish your MCSE since it will help you stand apart from other MCSEs.
  • Options
    it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    CCNA is networking and MCSE is systems, if you want to be a sys admin it should be pretty clear which would be the most beneficial.

I hear this a lot, but I don't think it's that black and white.

I've worked for small companies where you need to know both. You have to be able to troubleshoot problems with servers and switches. You are the "Network Guy" and are expected to fix everything. In larger companies IT staff has more specialized roles like an AD team or an Exchange group.

I'm looking for new opportunities too. When I look at want ads today for Sys Admins I more frequently see "Cisco Routers and Switches" as a desired skill. I've also seen ads where they ask for MCSE and CCNA. It could be that the Economy is bad and they can be picky about who their ideal candidate is.
  • Options
    white96gtwhite96gt Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What I find funny and this is off track from the original post. Is that people get their MCSE and then run to go take CCNA. My opinion is that you are better off using that MCSE or CCNA to learn more and build on that knowledge. I think the reason why you see companies asking for both are because they have been devalued to the point where everyone has both. Most that hold both studied for the test but have no experience with that subject. This is not true for people with years of experience, but people who are just getting into IT. I think you should first decide what you would like to work with then get that cert and learn everything you can about that subject. I see too many people on these forums get a cert like MCSE and then ask what cert they should get next. What they should really do is use that MCSE to learn more and build on the knowledge gained from the MCSE. Certs are like baseball cards now everyone collects them.
  • Options
    Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    white96gt wrote: »
    What I find funny and this is off track from the original post. Is that people get their MCSE and then run to go take CCNA. My opinion is that you are better off using that MCSE or CCNA to learn more and build on that knowledge. I think the reason why you see companies asking for both are because they have been devalued to the point where everyone has both. Most that hold both studied for the test but have no experience with that subject. This is not true for people with years of experience, but people who are just getting into IT. I think you should first decide what you would like to work with then get that cert and learn everything you can about that subject. I see too many people on these forums get a cert like MCSE and then ask what cert they should get next. What they should really do is use that MCSE to learn more and build on the knowledge gained from the MCSE. Certs are like baseball cards now everyone collects them.

You guys got white96gt to post for the first time and he's been a member since 2005. This is srs. (Kidding with you white-don't take it to heart)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    white96gt wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Agent6376 wrote: »
    You guys got white96gt to post for the first time and he's been a member since 2005. This is srs. (Kidding with you white-don't take it to heart)

And what a solid first post it was!
    My thoughts exactly.

I think it depends on if you're trying to break into the field or if you're already in it and trying to further your career. If you're just starting out, having all those letters definitely helps you stand out. However, I think most people agree that you ultimately need to specialize.

I'm guilty of trying to be a jack-of-all-trades (coincidentally a master-of-none), and it's time for me to pick a path and stick with it.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The clear answer is complete the MCSE:Security and the CCNA:Security and more.

The lines are more vegue than ever now days. In very few companies will the line be so black and white for your jobs descriptions.

Just a few examples of what I do at level 1 at my job, personally I setup/support/deploy
    - VPN tunnels, firewalls and WANs
    - configure Windows/ESX/Citrix/Sharepoint servers
    - work with management on project write ups
    - troubleshoot voip systems
    - administer CRM systems with SQL backends
    - purchase software/hardware

All these jobs are mix of certs clearly.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    dynamik wrote: »
    And what a solid first post it was!

I think it depends on if you're trying to break into the field or if you're already in it and trying to further your career. If you're just starting out, having all those letters definitely helps you stand out. However, I think most people agree that you ultimately need to specialize.

I'm guilty of trying to be a jack-of-all-trades (coincidentally a master-of-none), and it's time for me to pick a path and stick with it.

What would be best methodology of deciding which path to pick, if you are working as 2/3rd line systems support?
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4