Security+ SY0-201 - Which wikipedia articles would you recommend I read?

PanarchyPanarchy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

Been studying for the CompTIA Security+ - SY0-201 Certification...

When I get the chance, I study LearnKey [1 vid left of the demo... lol, can't get/find the full version icon_sad.gif], and 'CBT Nuggets Security+ 2008' video tutorials.

Also have been reading/studying/printing ExamForce's Security+ SY0-201 FREE study guide. Which is only 50 pages, I found it here; SY0-201 CompTIA Security+ Special Edition Practice Exam and Study Guide, Free ExamForce Practice Exam

Wikipedia articles seem to be pretty good, often going into detail which I can appreciate.

So I'd like some recommendations of Wikipedia articles to read, during my lunch break [hard to read more than 14 pages at lunch!]!!

I've already read/studied/printed the following articles
;

- RADIUS
- TACACS
- TACACS+
- Diameter
- SSO
- NAC
- Network Security
- OSI (and the the articles on all the layers!)
- VPN
- SSL
- SSH
- RDP
- VNC

Are there any others you'd suggest I review & print?

Please recommend some more.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I'm all for trying to do test prep on the cheap, but sometimes the old "you get what you pay for" adage applies. If you're going to be plunking down a chunk of change to take the exam, you may as well spend a wee bit of cash to get yourself a full blown study guide or two in order to adequately cover the exam topics & increase your chances of passing. A small monetary investment in some study materials may help to make sure you only have to pay for the exam once...just my two cents...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • PanarchyPanarchy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I've studied/am studying;
    CBT Nuggets Security+ 2008 [video tutorials]
    Security+ Study Guide, Study Guide by Objectives (Word Format)
    Comptia Security+ Study Guide - Proprofs
    SY0-201 CompTIA Security+ Special Edition Practice Exam and Study Guide, Free ExamForce Practice Exam
    LearnKey video tutorial [online demo]
    As well as the articles I've already read... which I listed before.

Would the above be enough to pass the Security+ SY0-201 accreditation?

Please tell me if it would be.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I would check the Comptia site and see how your knowledge compares with the exam topics. If you feel you can use the topics in conversation and understand the basics behind them it would sound like your fairly ready for the exam.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    skrpune wrote: »
    I'm all for trying to do test prep on the cheap, but sometimes the old "you get what you pay for" adage applies. If you're going to be plunking down a chunk of change to take the exam, you may as well spend a wee bit of cash to get yourself a full blown study guide or two in order to adequately cover the exam topics & increase your chances of passing. A small monetary investment in some study materials may help to make sure you only have to pay for the exam once...just my two cents...

I agree, I am studying for the Security+ right now. I am aiming for the second week of September to take it. You are crazy if don't get a few books to read through as well (Unless of course you are experienced in this area.) This test covers a broad area. The more I read the books, the more I realize I do not know about security. It is a wide spectrum.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pfft... I'm going to rock the boat. Download the objectives and research each item. CompTIA exams are broad and only scratch the surface of each topic. I think it is entirely possibly to pass one using free online resources (as are Microsoft exams with Technet, etc.). However, it will really come down to how dilligent you are and what you put into this endeavor. It's just as easy to fail an exam with books, CBTs, practice exams, etc. if you put forth a half-assed effort.
    Hmm... well apart from procrastinating a lot in my normal free-time, every lunch time without a miss [except Friday] I study for the Security+ certification.

I either use the ExamForce study guide [printed it] or Wikipedia article [which I also print].

So hopefully I will pass using the aforementioned tools.

If you have any other wikipedia articles which you'd suggest I read, please inform me of them.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy
    Panarchy wrote: »
    If you have any other wikipedia articles which you'd suggest I read, please inform me of them.

You're going to need a lot more than what you listed. Go here: Download Exam Objectives and download the objectives for the Security+ exam. Then just go through that list one-by-one.
    So of all the study material I've mentioned, if I study them all, I won't pass?

:S
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We are not saying that you can't pass it without a study guide. We are saying you should look at the exam objectives like dynamik has provided the link for and that they don't go in depth like most of the study guides do. As far as Wikipedia they may not cover some of the points that the Security+ exam is trying to get across.
    So of all the study material I've mentioned, if I study them all, I won't pass?

I was referring to your request for Wikipedia articles from your first post; you only listed a fraction of the topics.

I would assume those other resources would fill in the gaps. Just check out the objectives and see if you see anything you don't feel comfortable with and then do a little research on those topics.
    Okay, thanks.

Will keep you updated!

Wish me luck! :o
  • msbachmanmsbachman Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□

Wish me luck! :o

Good luck Panarchy!

Be sure to tell us how well you do. I have a voucher just sitting here and I'm a worrier when it comes to tests. It would help to know if you do well.

Sincerely,
    Matthew