CBT Nuggets?

inc0mpleteinc0mplete Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has used these videos? I am a very visual learner and as much as I enjoy reading, It just doesn't stick as much as visual aids do. These are quite expensive ( for MCSE it's $899 ) compared to buy all the MS press books. I am a broke college student icon_redface.gif so I would like to know how these are for MCSE before I make my purchase.

Thank you in advance.
Security+ -> Studying.
CCNA-> Studying - GNS3 and building up equipment slowly for CCNP.:lol:
MCSE 70-290 -> On Hold.

Exploit Bank: 0
InProgress: 1

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought they were fantastic, but at the same time, they're not a substitute for a written resource. You're probably going to want to use a book, Technet, etc. to fill in the gaps.

Also, check out the streaming subscription. You might be able to get through 2-3 sets in a month. I just take notes and never watch them again anyway, so that's the most economical choice for me.
  • inc0mpleteinc0mplete Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Of course. I was thinking about that MCSE in a nutshell. People gave it a lot of good reviews. So I might supplement the videos with that, then take a couple practice exams and see if I need to read more sources based on my results.

But if Dynamik likes it, I'm going to have to invest in these videos lol.
    Security+ -> Studying.
    MCSE 70-290 -> On Hold.

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They have a few free ones for each package online. You should watch a few of those to see if you like the instructor and instruction method. I think James is a riot, but some people can't stand him.
  • inc0mpleteinc0mplete Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'm going to register as soon as I get back home from work. Looks promising. I'm excited icon_thumright.gif
    Security+ -> Studying.
    MCSE 70-290 -> On Hold.

• mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    James Conrad is my favourite, i think he is great and he certainly knows his stuff. Although he goes through stuff thoroughly he also goes through it quickly so take advantage of he old pause button whilst you make notes! :)

just my opinion :)
  • EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    I've had a streaming subscription to CBTNuggets going on two years now and I think dollar for dollar it is the best value in IT training. It has helped both in test prep or in a pinch with a client technology I'm not strong in. I do suggest the use of practice test however if you seek certification. As the nuggets are great but I found they are not all that's need to successfully pass a test.
  • FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    inc0mplete wrote: »
    Hello! I was wondering if anyone has used these videos? I am a very visual learner and as much as I enjoy reading, It just doesn't stick as much as visual aids do. These are quite expensive ( for MCSE it's $899 ) compared to buy all the MS press books. I am a broke college student icon_redface.gif so I would like to know how these are for MCSE before I make my purchase.

Thank you in advance.

We have the CBT Nuggests Archive server at work with every single video CBT Nuggets has made. It's not perfect--there are small mistakes/errors/unclear explanations in most videos, some of the instructors are better than others, some topics are not covered with the right amount of depth---but I use it HEAVILY. Every single IT certification I have was done with the assistance of CBT Nuggets. It's not a substitute for MS press, Cisco press, etc. books and it's not a substitute for real-world experience, but it's the first resource I turn when I start on a new certification.
  • texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    The cbt nuggets are great but you need to also use the ms press books.I usually watch the cbt nuggets and I fill the gaps with the ms press books
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would recommend TestOut anytime over Nuggets. I was mentally drifting before each Nugget finished and I never really got the big picture of how everything connected. Then again I only ever used Nuggets for ITIL.

TestOut is a very comprehensive set of CBTs, has great simulations and practise questions. I use it for all exams now if possible.
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    I've used CBTNuggets and TrainSignal and enjoyed both. But it seems both their costs have gone up.

Microsoft has a ton of free Webcasts that are fantastic.
    http://www.microsoft.com/events/default.mspx

Search the in demand webcasts for "24 Hours of Windows Server 2008" for example.