Considering CCIE Voice (CCVPs/CCIEs Please Advise)

darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
I've started on the CCNA Voice material and really enjoy it. I like the "newness" of the technologies and the products. I'm thinking about going for CCVP and CCIE Voice.

If I did that, my immediate plan:

-To finish my goals for this year, which are CCNA Voice by September and CAPM by December. Finishing CCNA Voice by September would give me time during the rest of the year to sell my UC520 and get a new lab set up for CCVP/CCIE:V. If I get the lab set up before the end of the year, I'll start doing CCNA:V labs on the new equipment in my spare study time(away from CAPM study) until the end of the year comes around.

-In 2010, I'll cover CCVP material. I'm not sure what the best order for CCVP exams is yet, but if I'm doing 5 exams in 12 months, that gives 2-2.5 months per exam.

-In 2011, study and take CCIE:V written until I pass. Continue studying and doing labs afterward.

-In 2012, reassess my situation and need for study/labs. If ready, take the lab in second half of 2012.

What do you think about that plan?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Whenever I ask about advanced Cisco security studies, most people recommended doing the R&S track first. I'm curious if the same is true for voice.
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    I would say solid CCNA knowledge would help but there is no reason to go crazy if your real interest is voice. QOS related issues will be of most value as far as correlating. Also an understanding of how IP works is great to have even if you only touch voice.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Thanks, guys. I've taken classes on BCMSN and BSCI and will probably re-study those to get back in the swing of all things routed/switched after earning CCVP. I cancelled my CAPM exam. I hated to do that as I only get $200 of the $300 refunded, but I'm going to laser focus my way to CCIE:V.

I'm excited to be on my way to CCIE:V!

If anybody has any thoughts, concerns, or other assistance to offer in planning my path to CCIE:V, please please please don't be afraid to PM or reply here. I really want to get started on the right foot and could use all the help I can get.

I'm going to start a blog to document my work from CCNA:V to CCVP to CCIE:V.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think having a goal of CCIE Voice is good but you may not want to put all you focus in that one direction too soon. I would reassess the situation once you get into the heavier CCVP exams. You can persue voice without the CCNA - CCNP but I will offer some words of caution. IPT rides on top of the infrastructure, and many voice issues can be traced back to infrastructure issues. Not having a solid understanding of infrastructure troubleshooting can lead to frustration because you have a hard time isolating the problem. Your most valuable voice engineers will also understand infrastructure. I was working on an issue caused by a voice engineer (CCIE Voice) who decided it would be a good idea to shape a T3 to 6mb/s (the gold CIR for the circuit) then assign it all to priority queue. It crushed the network and shows an overall lack of understanding of the infrastructure. I see it on a regular basis with voice engineers who have solid voice experience with CUCM, unity, CUCX and so on but have difficulty with adding a voice vlan and routing it to the servers.

In today's large complex converged networks I don't think you can choose only one technology and isolate yourself from everything else because they are all interconnected. You change something here and it breaks something over there.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    Thanks for the advice, dtlokee. I'll definitely keep that in mind and be sure to do a reassessment once I hit CCVP.

BTW, I noticed you said "without the CCNA-CCNP". I have CCNA/CCDA and have taken BCMSN/BSCI courses. Do you think I need much more than to keep fresh on this level of knowledge?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, dtlokee. I'll definitely keep that in mind and be sure to do a reassessment once I hit CCVP.

BTW, I noticed you said "without the CCNA-CCNP". I have CCNA/CCDA and have taken BCMSN/BSCI courses. Do you think I need much more than to keep fresh on this level of knowledge?

Yes I agree with dtlokee's assessment. That said tramping through an R&S track such as CCNP isn't a cure all. The track will give you some structure and awareness. The main thing is to get some solid R&S fundamentals down with or without certifications. Back in the day there was no CCNA. Good luck with your studies and certainly keep an eye on those fundamentals! IPexpert have some good Voice instruction from what I hear.
    Ok, so now I've talked with several people going for CCIE and a few CCIE's... they're saying not to even bother with CCVP, but to get the foundation in CCNA, then go straight for CCIE:V using CCIE:V material.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Ok, so now I've talked with several people going for CCIE and a few CCIE's... they're saying not to even bother with CCVP, but to get the foundation in CCNA, then go straight for CCIE:V using CCIE:V material.

I work at a provider and I have seen guys here after a few YEARS of doing voice work they go straight for IE voice, they usually are NP's or IE R&S already thoughicon_surprised.gif
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It could certainly be done but it is a long road to CCIE:V.

I would think that some intermediate validation of your skills through the CCVP exams would not only be valuable but serve as a motivator and confidence builder along the way.

Plus, it forces you to stay in an exam centric mentality which helps (at least me) stay focused.

Good luck!icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm starting on my journey. :D

If you care to keep up with my musings... VOIP Newb.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm starting on my journey. :D

Awesome, good luck!
    If you care to keep up with my musings... VOIP Newb.

I expect to become a CCVP from your blog alone icon_cool.gif
    dynamik wrote: »
    I expect to become a CCVP from your blog alone icon_cool.gif

I'm using labels for my posts based on what exam it applies to. You can reach the labels on the right. Once I get further in, it actually may be of some use to people. My goal, though, is to have covered every single topic for the exams on my blog, even if it's just a list of the commands.

I guess I'll have to make a separate label for "Stupid Thoughts" when I actually want to muse about something. icon_lol.gif
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991

Only guy I know who works in voip (for a partner) passed cvoice and qos then did the ie written. He is ie r&s already tho.

I have to admit it's a tempting route, but I figure I can take each exam as I study for the IE as I cant see me doing it in any less time by missing them out.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    I agree. I looked and pretty much all of the topics for CCVP exams are in the IE list of topics.

I may skip some exams so I don't stress out on the material as much, but I want to study for each one anyways.
  • aacostaaacosta Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey darkerosxx, I sat for the CCIE Voice v2 twice and once for v3 - It sounds like you are really motivated to pursue the CCIE voice. The routing & switching is not an issue for the CCIE Voice - all the routing & switching is configured for you on the LAB - the only two things that you will have to configure is QOS and some VLAN configuration / verification. One of the best QOS reading I can refer you to is Cisco Press "Voice Over IP Fundamentals" by Davidson & Peters. The chapter on QOS is very well presented and clear and you can get VLAN configuration info in most Cisco training materials. You can PM me or e-mail me at aacosta160 (at) yahoo [dot] com if you need additional info.