SYBEX STUDY MATERIAL

toghermitoghermi Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi evryone.have recently purchased the Sybex CCNA study guide.
was wondering if anyone else has opinions on the quality of this book.

Would you recommend using any other supporting material before trying for CCNA exams.

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I have that book & I like it alot. I use it for refrence mostly, since I don't really have time for the CCNA right now.
  • NocturnalNocturnal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am about 80% ready for the exam, but I'm going to hold off until March because I don't like failing.

Here are my recommendations:

Use cisco.com. They have lots of tech docs. Cross-reference, cross-reference, cross-reference. If something confuses you in the Sybex book, check cisco.com for further reading.

When you think you've got it, pick up "Exam Cram." Its questions are broken up into functional areas and it comes with a CD with a test engine. Well worth the tweny bucks.

At the very least, get a router sim. I've tried Sybex Gold and Boson's, and I don't really think one is much better than the other compared to the real thing. If you can afford a used router, GET ONE. At the very VERY least, you can get a used Catalyst 1900 series switch on Ebay for less than a router sim.

Do you work in the networking field in any way? Just probing for info...I do it for a living.
    "...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right,..."
    --Tom Paine
  • fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nocturnal wrote:

When you think you've got it, pick up "Exam Cram." Its questions are broken up into functional areas and it comes with a CD with a test engine. Well worth the tweny bucks.

Do you work in the networking field in any way? Just probing for info...I do it for a living.

hey Nocturnal,

Could tell us about Exam Cram, whos the author publisher etc?
    Not wanting to ask a personal question or anything, but how far do you think the CCNA certification will take you in your career?
    Im a newbie.... please be easy on me.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    NOCTURNAL: When I go to Chicago, I go to this club called Nocturnal, any idea?
  • Bulldog1875Bulldog1875 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just got this book last week (the one by Lammle I presume) and it seems pretty good so far. I paid ~$30.00 w/shipping for a "like new" copy thru Amazon and was very pleased. It's ~$50 off-the-shelf at Barnes & Nobles or Borders. I have a Cisco login thru my employer and plan to make extensive use of that.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I pretty much never buy my books from Barnes & Noble or Borders. I just go in there and look through the books and then buy the ones I want from Amazon. What a rip off those stores are icon_confused.gif
  • Bulldog1875Bulldog1875 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    S'pose I'd have to agree. They want me to pay $25.00 to become a *member* so I can get a small discout on what I buy!!