MCSA or MCITP: SA

mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
So just got out of a training session at work about migrations to Server 2008, and the instructor got around to asking about certs. After an extensive conversation, he suggested that i ditch 2003 and start working towards 2008. His strategy for persuasion included how I already have my Vista 620 and there are fewer exams for MCITP:EA than there are for MCSE 2003. However, I'm a little reluctant because I'm about ready to take the 290 and 291 and would hate to have to start over my reading and study structure. My question is how much does Server 2003 material overlap on 2008 materials? What would you do in my position considering the certs that I already have? Do CompTia certs also substitute for 2008 elective exams? I'm there have been hundreds of other threads like this, sorry for the redundancy icon_sad.gif
XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."

Comments

• AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you were not ready to pass take them, I would say go 2008. As you are prepped for a few... I would take them.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, there are no electives for the 2008 MCITP: EA. Don't worry about those. And a lot of stuff like Active Directory and DNS concepts will carry over to the new certs, you'll just need to learn what changed between 2003 and 2008.
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would take the 290 and 291. I have heard the material overlaps some, so you'll be prepared if you choose to upgrade your cert, which would probably be a good idea.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're ready to take 290 and 291, do them. With those and your A+/Net+, you'll be an MCSA, and then you can upgrade that to the SA or EA.
  • ryswartryswart Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying 70-290 & 70-291 also and just about ready to take the tests for those. I have A+ & Network+. Just checking to make sure the those (2) comptia's qualify for the elective ???

I know I have to choose an operating system also to complete requirement
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can take the 270 or 620. I'm not sure if the windows 7 will work yet.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep. You'll need those two, 290, 291, and a client exam.

Edit: Psoasman, it doesn't look like they're adding Win7 to the 2003 tracks, even as an elective.
  • mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'll just get my MCSA then upgrade because it would only be one extra exam and I figure it'll be long before we even think about upgrading to 2008 so I could really use the extra lab time working with 2003. With all the overlap in exams, I shouldn't really see any delay in transitioning to 2008. Luckily for me, I grabbed a copy of 2008 while DreamSpark was giving out free software. Yah! :)
    XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
    Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
    Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'll just get my MCSA then upgrade because it would only be one extra exam and I figure it'll be long before we even think about upgrading to 2008 so I could really use the extra lab time working with 2003. With all the overlap in exams, I shouldn't really see any delay in transitioning to 2008. Luckily for me, I grabbed a copy of 2008 while DreamSpark was giving out free software. Yah! :)

It would be 2 exams. the 648 and the 646
  • ryswartryswart Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Yep. You'll need those two, 290, 291, and a client exam.

Edit: Psoasman, it doesn't look like they're adding Win7 to the 2003 tracks, even as an elective.
    I appreciate the quick response ... I know Cert A+ & Network+ would come in handy for something eventually :)
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

Per my Certification Planner on the MCP site, I have "Windows 7, Configuration" listed under client exams for MCSE.
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1