Preparing for the 298

My question is kinda silly; but how do you know when you are ready for this exam?

I have completed the other 6 requirements for the MCSE track. This exam seems to be a little different as I know it's mostly review and the format seems to be quite different.

I do plan to purchase Transcenders to become familiar with the format as I am not really sure how to approach it. I think I would find it tough reading all the material then answering questions; just looking for some preparation advice.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Study 299 and take them at the same time. I didn't really use anything for 298. It was pretty much all review from 291, 293, and 299.
  • tomkentomken Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been using the Transcenders to practice for the 298 and I have found that if I skim through the case studies for a minute or two, then go to the questions, I am quickly able to recall where the information I need to answer the question is in the case study. Like Dynamik advises, I am studying for the 299 using TestOut and CBT Nuggets, but practicing for the new format of the 298 exam, so that I can sit them both on the same day. Hope this helps!!!
  • ElwoodBluesElwoodBlues Member Posts: 117
    My Elearning does not have any material related to the 299; only the 298. icon_sad.gif

Given that this is the case, is Transcenders enough to pass the exam? I am retaking some practice tests from the 291 and 293 for review.
    I skimmed the MS Press book and got nothing out of it, and only did a handful of Transcender questions. I don't think I even made it through two of the case studies.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would get the 299 book, its pretty cheap on amazon. It covers some material from the 293, but goes more in-depth, especially with PKI and SSL.

ps. I sent you some labs for the 299, which helped me a lot. Let me know if you didn't receive them... :D
    I absolutely suck at this exam. I can go back and reread the question (after I gotten it wrong) and I can see where I went astray on most of them. The others, I mis inturpeted what they were asking for in the cast study.

Because I know this is timed based, I am determined that I do not have enough time to read the entire case, look at the questions, then go back and search for the answers. Aside from brushing up on the material (which I need to do more of), what is the most effective method to understand the case enough to correclty answer the questions? Read the etire case, skim it, read what you need to based on the individual question? I am using Transcender(29icon_cool.gif and it says I suck; I concur.

Thanks
    Read the questions first so you have some idea of what you're looking for.
    Don't be so hard on yourself Elwood!!!

Try this. Briefly scan through the case study, paying close attention to headers and bolded items. Once you have quickly scanned through the case study, proceed to the questions, looking for clues as to where there answer may lie in the case study. Like this:

CaseStudy: To meet our new goals, we must extend SuiteDreams, our reservation system application, to support reservations for members of the premium guest club...

Question: You must redesign SuiteDreams Active Directory structure to support the new premium club membership. Which of the following actions should you perform?

If you go back to the case study where the DeamSuite info was located, and read it closer, you will see that it says that these accounts must be stored in an AD domain that is separate from the corp. domain. etc.

So the answer would be to set up a new domain in a new forest for the premium clubmembers user accounts, and then create a one-way trust where the new domain trusts the corp. domain.

This method has been working very well for me, but everyone is different. Good Luck!
    I went back thru an exam I did previously and made the same score (75%). However, I did try another one and took my time reading and interpreting the question being asked (after slightly skimming the content). It was at this point that it clicked what they are looking for. After changing a last minute answer, I made a 100% on this particular exam.

I think my problem is that I am so concerned with the time that I am skipping important clues and misreading the questions. Therefore I am not able to give the answer they are looking for. What is the typical time for a testlet?
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think my problem is that I am so concerned with the time that I am skipping important clues and misreading the questions. Therefore I am not able to give the answer they are looking for. What is the typical time for a testlet?

Figure about 3 minutes per question for your testlets. I had testlets ranging from 5-12 questions on my design exam (297). The 5 question testlet gave me about 15 minutes, the 12 question one had about 36 minutes to finish it. .
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    Time was tight dude. This is the only exam I've ever been really tight for time on. I believe I finished two of them with < 1 minute remaining.
    I may need to back up and punt b/c Transcender is beating me down pretty good. I scored a 22% on 1 test today that I thought I did well on. I ended up getting 1 of the selected answer but missing the other one; usually by slecting the inverted solution. Which is likely not that bad that as I see why the other one was correct and my selection was wrong. It gives me some hope that I knew which area to look for the right answer.

Does anyone know if this Transcender is also more difficult than the actual exam?

Thank again.
    Does anyone know if this Transcender is also more difficult than the actual exam?

I only did a couple of the case studies in Transcender, but it seemed on par with the actual exam.
    On my registration for the exam, I see a time duration of 2:45. Additionally have seen people report that they have about 34 questions in 5 testlets.

Does this mean that I would have 30 or so mintues on average for each testlet? If so, I have been trying to do my testlets in half that time.
    Did you schedule your exam yet?
    I am set to sit this exam on the 12th. Unless I have a complete change of heart in the next few days, I'm gonna keep the date.
    I am set to sit this exam on the 12th. Unless I have a complete change of heart in the next few days, I'm gonna keep the date.

Good Luck!! I am set for the 298 & 299 on Friday the 14th!!!
  • siniabhilashsiniabhilash Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck to you guys...............you will nail iticon_cheers.gif
    Sini Abhilash
    A+, N+, 270, 290, 291, 299 (MCSA)