A few problems with SDM

hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
Evening all,

Im using SDM with dynamips for the time being until I can afford some real kit, I having a few problems with actually getting a 'security audit' to work when i click on the button SDM just crashes its the same when i try and monitor the router and try looking at 'loggings' .

Just wondered if anyone else has been using dynamips and if they have come across these same problems.

Cheers

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Most people fix their SDM problems -- with either real hardware or Dynamips (Dynagen/GNS3) -- by switching back to an older java version and/or a different browser and/or different IOS version (newer or older -- in case it's an IOS/SDM support bug).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    So far, using SDM hasn't been a pleasant experience for me. Weirdness in how it configures the IOS notwithstanding, I found that the only way I could possibly run it was to install it on my desktop and use it to remote into my router. When attempting to install it directly onto the router, I ran into the same Java compatibility issues that you're describing, (the same ones my coworker came across when he was using SDM,) and I ended up just throwing my hands up and swearing off SDM altogether. I'd imagine that, if I'm having such a hellish time with SDM on a real router, trying to get it working with a Dynamips deployment is even more of a hassle.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    Cheers for the replies guys,

Ive got this fixed now I downgraded the java to "Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.10" everything is working fine now :)
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yep, almost always a Java problem. I keep an old JRE on my laptop just for the SDM. Another tip is to enable the "preview commands" setting, copy the config, and paste it in via the CLI.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    pitviper wrote: »
    Another tip is to enable the "preview commands" setting, copy the config, and paste it in via the CLI.

Yeh i just come across this when i was watching one of the cbt nugget videos, i think its a really good feature to be able to view all the CLI commands

While ive got this thread open has anyone been using any lab manuals for this cert the only one i can find is the official security lab manual but that isnt released until the end of sept.