CIO's earn more, now there's a surprise

Interesting reading

CIOs get £170k but helpdesk staffers settle for £6/hr ? The Register

but nothing really new

so what\how do you describe a CIO what kinda role is that?
if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)

Comments

• GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting reading

CIOs get £170k but helpdesk staffers settle for £6/hr ? The Register

but nothing really new

so what\how do you describe a CIO what kinda role is that?

They're more interested in the how much and with what benefit than the how you do it. An accountant with an interest in IT.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    An accountant with an interest in IT.

That is the best way I have heard it said...sick how much thay make
    always talking about IT but never using it much and making all the decsions sick! I want to be a CIO..;)icon_thumright.gif
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    That is the best way I have heard it said...sick how much thay make
    always talking about IT but never using it much and making all the decsions sick! I want to be a CIO..;)icon_thumright.gif

Then you'd better brush up on your math :p
    Spreadsheets is a CIO's best friend.

Pretty much all C-Suite positions for large companies are just glorified accountants and marketers.
    glorified accountants and marketers

CIO, CTO, CFO, CEO all the same...

yeah tru that...graphs charts, profits, margins all that crap!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

but at least I will know what I am talking about in IT instead of just BSing my way...but I would like to eventally be a CIO but first I want more experience. I want to be at a CCNP/CCIP level and then CIO....;) icon_thumright.gif
    OOOOPS !!
    THANKS guys I see.....man was my rep filling up red red red..man
    with no way to redeem myself. Thought I was going to get kicked off forum!??

But thanks will work on my stuff....;)
    Robert(aka IT daddy)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe it's not one person and you just keep **** people off icon_lol.gif

In all seriousness, I'm not sure who's doing it or why, but maybe try getting your opinions across in a manner that's less combative. I think everyone here's up for some healthy discussion.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    GAngel wrote: »
    They're more interested in the how much and with what benefit than the how you do it. An accountant with an interest in IT.

lol now thats an interesting view on it, i'm guessing I should fast track this route, given I'm part qualified accountant, I moved into IT from that field.
    I would add I'm VERY much a hands on person tho and keep dodging the management bullet for now as I'm more interested in improving my technical skillls.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    whoever keeps giving me negative feed on my reputation back off man!

no idea why your getting these buddy, imo while some of your posts can come across quite strong I treat these as a spill over from your enthusiasm for the field and not negative agression icon_smile.gif

All too easy on forums to mis-construde what people say in text, so many subtle nuances missed out.
    Life's too short to worry about such things icon_smile.gif lets hope others see it that way too and like you say if they dont like your posts dont read em and move on icon_smile.gif
  • djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    daddy, that reputation thing says nothing about the quality of the post or poster. Just some competition to see who can get the longest green bar. It's basically a popularity contest. Pay no mind.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I get it you dont like me
    Hey -- some of us did get worried when we though an impostor name Robert had kidnapped you and was using your user name/password to post (in this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/40612-help-tclsh-there-must-better-way.html)
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Grammar, spelling, punctuation...
    What did you do with the REAL itdaddy? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    daddy, that reputation thing says nothing about the quality of the post or poster. Just some competition to see who can get the longest green bar. It's basically a popularity contest. Pay no mind.

gee don't I feel stupid...icon_redface.gif

OMG I thought the reputation thingy was to kick me off the forum if I got too many...ooops!!!

will work on my spelling and punct so I can make everyone happy
    and I will never provoke anyone again! never ever!! !
    icon_cool.gif
    mike
    ahhahahaa haha
    ahahaha

whatyou said kills me...yeah that guy Robert comes and goes huh? haha
    ahahaaicon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

that was one of the funniest! haha but true!
    djhss68 wrote: »
    Just some competition to see who can get the longest green bar. It's basically a popularity contest.
    It also gives noobs an idea of who's advice they can trust.

Someone who's argumentative, can't accept opposing points of view without attacking the other users who disagree with them usually gets "nuked" by more senior members who get fed up with their drivel. That's usually enough to drive their reputation into the toilet. If they don't get banned outright from the site for their disruptive attitude, they hopefully learn to be more civil with their posts in the future.

There are limits to posting reputation -- you just can't find someone you hate and "disagree" with all their posts. And you can't just randomly keep rating people so that you can go "nuke your nemesis again and again and again" And if everyone thinks you're an idiot, your ratings don't affect anyone else anyway.....

But that reminds me -- I've got to see if I've spread around enough "reputation" so that I can find a icon_wm.gif post (like a technote or tech lab post/sticky) and add to his reputation again.
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Of course they make more... :)
    Dustin Leefers
    Mike

and my red reputation posts were mostly stupid stuff....spelling and I don't understand or I don't agree with you kind of thing? Maybe the only one that I deserved was the "bypassing the language filter". That one I can agree was not good on my part. The rest were sheer someones opinions. But the language filter for sure was a good call on me. And I yeild to that!icon_redface.gif

I don't agree with many people unless they can back what they say up, but I dont mark them as being bad or stupid or Incoherent just because of my views! I think reputation tags can be used for bad. I am very descrete about when I would tag some as red reputation. There has been noone on this forum that I can see that deserves a red reputation tag unless they are morons and argue for the sake of arguing. And all on this forum seem very bright and caring!

I mean I think I have good posts, maybe not all perfect but I try to add some thought provoking things. (Look at motive). I am not a jerk trying to argue just for the sake of arguing. I have agreed on many things...but as long as you can back it up. icon_lol.gif
    I can see a point of view if you back it up!

But I agree with you that someone who is pure argumentive should be banned! But I am not! I feel I get along with many!

In conclusion, I am not a Yes man that is for sure. Never was; never will be!....icon_cool.gif

But I do understand what you said. Big guy! and I agree 100% ..thanks for spelling it out for me. I am not someone who would disrespect forum rules (okay too much)
    I can get wild sometime, but not intentionally icon_redface.gif
    But I am not!
    Nope, you're not. I don't think you're one of the members that helped along the decision to enable reputation.

But how many times have I told you "If you drink, don't post -- and if you post, don't drink" icon_lol.gif
    Mike
    you are again right...yeah I got out of hand there a bit and you are right on that..okay.. 99.998 % of the time you are right about things hahah

but serious you are right..I agree dont drink and post that I do get ;)
    thank you! and sorry ;))))

Mike did I ever tell you that you never forget anything? no wonder you have so many darn certs. you have a memory like an elephant! icon_cool.gif