Force VLAN up/up

mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
Hi all,

Is it possible to force a vlan into an up/up state? All 24 ports of the switch are assigned to the vlan but nothing is connected, I could connect something to one of the ports but the switch is at a remote site.

I did create a loopback interface but there were switchport options avaliable.

Thanks.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you are trying to force an SVI to stay up you can use the "no autostate" command under the interface. This will cause the SVI to remain up/up regardless of the other port states.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Excellent, thanks.
  • mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    If you are trying to force an SVI to stay up you can use the "no autostate" command under the interface. This will cause the SVI to remain up/up regardless of the other port states.

Never knew that, very cool.
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□

Hah. I love it. Enough said.
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Is this a feature in "new" IOS?

I just unsuccessfully tried this on a 3750 running 12.2(25)SEE1 and a 2950 running 12.1(22)EA12.

"Autostate" was not a valid command.

I know on routers you can issue the "no keepalive" command on the interface which will also place a interface in an "up/up" state regardless of physical connection.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    spanning tree needs to be forwarding in order for the SVI to come up with the no autostate command it just bypasses this check but I dont see why you would want the SVI to be up with no ports attached to it potentially black hole traffic if the SVI is advertised
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    kryolla wrote: »
    spanning tree needs to be forwarding in order for the SVI to come up with the no autostate command it just bypasses this check but I dont see why you would want the SVI to be up with no ports attached to it potentially black hole traffic if the SVI is advertised

I agree. I don't really see the need for it, just something I ran across. I guess you could use it for connectivity checks if all you have are routed ports up. You could just as easily use a loopback though. No reason I can think of to use this in production.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    does it reply to pings if you use the no autostate command?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net