Options

DNS Question

texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
Ok I'm lost I thought I had an ok understanding of DNS but now I think I was wrong. Ok lets say I have a forest of three domains test.com, east.test.com , and west.test.com. My understanding is to create the DC in each location to have DNS installed on it and have its forward lookup zone to be AD intergrated.In addition I would think to create a stub zone on test.com to point recursive querys for west.test.com to west's DCs IP address and another stub for east.Would I also need to create a secondary lookup on another server at each location? I'm lost

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    texasit wrote: »
    Ok I'm lost I thought I had an ok understanding of DNS but now I think I was wrong. Ok lets say I have a forest of three domains test.com, east.test.com , and west.test.com. My understanding is to create the DC in each location to have DNS installed on it and have its forward lookup zone to be AD intergrated.In addition I would think to create a stub zone on test.com to point recursive querys for west.test.com to west's DCs IP address and another stub for east.Would I also need to create a secondary lookup on another server at each location? I'm lost

A secondary is really just a copy of your primary. You could deploy it at each location for failover,load balancing reasons but if you're using stubs then if a primary failed they would go looking for the other dns servers in the other domain so it's a bit redundant. If it were an isolated network then it might make sense as the WAN may go down and the local users would have nothing to auth too.