877w no wireless application on sdm

shaunebopshaunebop Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys would appreciate any help with this, I have managed to get myself a second hand 877w to go with my lab that im using to study for my ccna and wanted to use it as my broadband router via adsl as well.
The problem is that i haven't got a clue about configuring it as a wireless router and was hopeing to set the wireless capabilities using sdm, but when i go into sdm and try to configure the wireless interface it says that it has not got the wireless application installed on the router.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what im looking for and will i be able to download it without a service agreement with cisco.
Maybe some of you have got some configs that i might be able to look at to show me how to get it up and running?

Thanks shaun
Oh no iv'e got brain freeze again!

Comments

• xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    Good luck! I have struggled with this problem before with my 871.

I have to upgrade the flash to 64MB to accommodate the wireless utility install files. I have put it on hold until I can upgrade the flash.

How much free space do you have? If I remember correctly you will need a good 20-30MB of space in flash.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    just use CLI, I have the utility on my home router but never used it. There is docs out there and how to configure it using CLI if not just post here.

edit I just found one
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/857swcg.html
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
    kryolla wrote: »
    just use CLI, I have the utility on my home router but never used it. There is docs out there and how to configure it using CLI if not just post here.

edit I just found one
    Cisco 850 Series and Cisco 870 Series Access Routers Software Configuration Guide [Cisco 800 Series Routers] - Cisco Systems

As much as I love the CLI for all things Cisco, wireless is just not one of them. There is nothing intuitive or easy about creating global ssids, wireless subinterfaces, or WPA-PSKs in the CLI.

It's how I configured my 871 and is great knowledge to have, but in this case the SDM can save you time and pain.
    VPN's are another task made simpler and easier by the SDM. Between crypto maps, policies, and transform sets the CLI is just downright clumsy for VPN's.

I suppose anything CLI is going to be difficult for the untrained and should be learned for complex configurations, but for simple tasks the SDM is a saving grace.

A lot of people rip the SDM but it has it's place in an engineer's toolbox. icon_smile.gif
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    CLI for me or templates via notepad and just change some things here and there, then cut and paste. If you dont know how to read the running config then you shoudln't be in the router my opinion
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    kryolla wrote: »
    CLI for me or templates via notepad and just change some things here and there, then cut and paste. If you dont know how to read the running config then you shouldn't be in the router my opinion
    I have to agree. Any self-respecting network administrator should know how to config via the CLI. Sure it may be easier to make it work via SDM but then do you really know what is happening, I think not. Just my opinion though.
  • shaunebopshaunebop Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok guys just a quick update, I managed to get everything up and running (-:
    I downloaded the sdm express with the wireless application to the router which helped but needed to add quiet a few more commands via the command line to get it up and running.
    I do actually prefer the command line as i have only ever used sdm a couple of times before to prepare for my fourthcoming ccna exam, but due to there being next to nothing on configuring wireless , atm and dialler interfaces aswell as ssid's and authentication with the command line i thought it best to try sdm and learn from the configs (-:

xwesleyxwilllisx i have only got 28MB flash so i just installed sdm express which is a lighter version of sdm with the wireless application to the router, plenty of room.
    If you need anymore info just drop us a pm.

Thanks all shaun
    871 comes with 24MB. I also have SSL VPN running on my router so I really don't have room.

BTW before you submit any configuration created via SDM you can view the commands...
    Yeah, I like that alot (-: it allows me to learn CLI commands that i have never seen before lol.

Im just struggling now to get my setup to how it was with the little Netgear,wired & wireless clients on the same subnet for things like streaming to the xbox and other servers i have, looks like i have got to create a bridge for this to work? 640-802 dont mention sqwat about this stuff lol. Think i need a good book or some cbt nuggets on this wireless stuff (-:

Thanks all
    Quiet hour with a couple of beers and it's all good (-:
    shaunebop wrote: »
    Yeah, I like that alot (-: it allows me to learn CLI commands that i have never seen before lol.

Im just struggling now to get my setup to how it was with the little Netgear,wired & wireless clients on the same subnet for things like streaming to the xbox and other servers i have, looks like i have got to create a bridge for this to work? 640-802 dont mention sqwat about this stuff lol. Think i need a good book or some cbt nuggets on this wireless stuff (-:

Thanks all

To get that setup you will need to use a BVI interface. Like you said it will bridge the wireless/LAN interface together.