Is this Exam worth my time?

Keith83Keith83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
1) I'm a java software engineer and will be moving into the cyber security realm within the next year or two. I have a limited amount of *direct* security experience, although I've done work that parallels with infosec operations.

Under a certain DoD initiative - as well as an evolving list of job requirements - it's safe to say all work in the cyber / cyber security realm [of my particular industry] will be needing a security-related certification.

The Security+ does indeed qualify under this requirement, but I'm not convinced it's worth my time.

Should I bother hammering through the Security+ exam, or look towards CEH / SSCP or similiar, or the ESCP or a similar software-focused cert.

2) This exam doesn't look very difficult. How long would you give a fairly seasoned IT professional - with a fair degree of eligible time that can be dedicated to studying for this - to expect to study for this exam and pass it? I'm thinking ~2 months, but wouldn't want to go much longer for this one...

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I don't think it would be that tough...read over the objectives and see what you know from it. here's a good site with free info Security+ Essentials - Techotopia
  • Keith83Keith83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The concepts aren't very intimidating.

How are the questions themselves? Tricky? Wordy? etc.?
  • slideoffslideoff Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its a very straight forward test like the other comptia tests. They don't try to bombard you with lots of useless information and in depth scenarios like M$ and Cisco.
    "Jeez louise, I can't wait to get my MCSE and quit this job." - Nick Burns
  • Keith83Keith83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So it's safe to say that a fairly intelligent individual can get through this one with maybe just the Syngress book and a couple of practice exams?
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is definetaly worth the time but the 2 things that scare me is the Passing Score 750 of 900 ( Quite a tough call ) and secondy the exam fees $258...icon_rolleyes.gif

All the luck
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Keith83 wrote: »
    So it's safe to say that a fairly intelligent individual can get through this one with maybe just the Syngress book and a couple of practice exams?

Get more than one book, just to be safe. If nothing else, get a secondary book that's a "quick study guide" of some sort. Read the books, go look up anything you're unsure of or feel like it needs further explanation that you find on the exam topics on the CompTIA website, and then take some practice exams to see if you're ready. The more you bring into this exam, the more your get out of it; you'll probably find the stuff relating to software-development, encryption, etc. to "click" faster than things that speak more to network & systems administration.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Keith83 wrote: »
    1) I'm a java software engineer and will be moving into the cyber security realm within the next year or two. I have a limited amount of *direct* security experience, although I've done work that parallels with infosec operations.

Under a certain DoD initiative - as well as an evolving list of job requirements - it's safe to say all work in the cyber / cyber security realm [of my particular industry] will be needing a security-related certification.

The Security+ does indeed qualify under this requirement, but I'm not convinced it's worth my time.

Should I bother hammering through the Security+ exam, or look towards CEH / SSCP or similiar, or the ESCP or a similar software-focused cert.

2) This exam doesn't look very difficult. How long would you give a fairly seasoned IT professional - with a fair degree of eligible time that can be dedicated to studying for this - to expect to study for this exam and pass it? I'm thinking ~2 months, but wouldn't want to go much longer for this one...

The exam can be fairly difficult if you do not put the time or effort into studying. I have been a Network Administrator for 10 years and breezed through the A+ and Network + within 2 weeks of each other, just by doing basic refreshing studying, and using my hands on experience. Security + on the other hand, I spent a month of hard studying and 2 months of studying an hour or so a day, and I just passed by 8 points, but heck passing is passing.....

Do not underestimate this test, I believe that this test has the most failures out of all of the Comptia exams.

Also, in answer to your other question, this exam is a good stepping stone to the more advanced security certifications, and will help you give you the basic knowledge to excel.