Options

books

knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
Hi Guys,

I passed the 290 on the 10th now looking into geeting a book for the 291. I have been looking at amazon and seen the MS press book for this exam, but the reviews for it are shockingly bad. Has anyone else got/used this book?

This is the one I'm on about:

MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-291 : Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network ... Infrastructure, Sec Pro Certification: Amazon.co.uk: J.C. Mackin and Ian McLean: Books
70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Comments

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    knownhero wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I passed the 290 on the 10th now looking into geeting a book for the 291. I have been looking at amazon and seen the MS press book for this exam, but the reviews for it are shockingly bad. Has anyone else got/used this book?

MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-291 : Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network ... Infrastructure, Sec Pro Certification: Amazon.co.uk: J.C. Mackin and Ian McLean: Books

It seems that alot of the negative reviews are for the 70-284 book. This was the only book I used for my studies. It was more than enough information and it seemed to cover everything very well. The only thing it lacked was information covering WSUS 3.0. It covers a little general WSUS, but you need to know 3.0 specifics. This isn't a bad thing though. Just install 3.0 and mess around with it. It isn't difficult. If you've done 70-290 then you already know everything about the theory and how WSUS works.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seems that alot of the negative reviews are for the 70-284 book. This was the only book I used for my studies. It was more than enough information and it seemed to cover everything very well. The only thing it lacked was information covering WSUS 3.0. It covers a little general WSUS, but you need to know 3.0 specifics. This isn't a bad thing though. Just install 3.0 and mess around with it. It isn't difficult. If you've done 70-290 then you already know everything about the theory and how WSUS works.

Totally off topic, but I just "got" your forum name.

MS
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    eMeS wrote: »

MS

Didn't realize there was anything to 'get' until you mentioned it. Quite a feet to uncover it.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

MS

wow, that makes two of us!

congrats on the pass OP; and the MS Press book is definitely a good choice for your primary book.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Thanks for your imput on this. Ive went a head and ordered the book should be down in the next few days. Then I can start setting out study time for this one. Once I got this I can finally get my MCSA then start the Exchange part of it.

• Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Didn't realize there was anything to 'get' until you mentioned it. Quite a feet to uncover it.

Nice one.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□

MS

LOL! And this is exactly what separates all of you guys from the "normal crowd". I knew that if someone were to "get" my screen name without me having to explain it, it would be someone from here. I use this (or some other variation) as my name when I'm playing games like counter-strike or COD4, and most people just think i'm some guy from the middle east or something...
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    LOL! And this is exactly what separates all of you guys from the "normal crowd". I knew that if someone were to "get" my screen name without me having to explain it, it would be someone from here. I use this (or some other variation) as my name when I'm playing games like counter-strike or COD4, and most people just think i'm some guy from the middle east or something...

Funny thing is, I wonder how many people are thinking WTF?

MS
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    I got it.

I'll take chocolate chip please.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    and most people just think i'm some guy from the middle east or something...

Guilty icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    harkle3harkle3 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    knownhero wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am currently using this book. It was provided to me from my instructor. There are books out there that can simplify the topics better. But in my honest opinion this book is nothing but straight forward factual content. If you have really good study habits then this book is for you. But if your looking for simplicity and more friendly material that makes studying interesting then this isn't for you. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    or something...
    dyslexic geek/nerd with an athletic shoe fetish?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    FishoilFishoil Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Studying 291 I found this book a big help a deeper knowledge on DNS and make things much clear then using Self-Paced Training Kit.

DNS Windows Server 2003
    I'm trying, Just take me a bit longer
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Fishoil wrote: »
    Studying 291 I found this book a big help a deeper knowledge on DNS and make things much clear then using Self-Paced Training Kit.

DNS Windows Server 2003

I also used this book for studying 291. I would recommend using it.
  • Options
    shon541 wrote: »
    I also used this book for studying 291. I would recommend using it.

Im luckly when it comes to the DNS side of things as I work in a datacenter where I can mess with DNS and AD when I need too plus I can just ask people here about it. Im not looking forward to this exam though. It will be a great weight off my shoulders when this one is completed in a few months time.

Again thanks for all the replies.