Options

Where do I Start

Dr. SmoothDr. Smooth Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I will be laid off from my job by the end of 2009 and I would like to transition into the IT field.

I am currently and Project Engineer in the Automotive industry and just one class away from completing my MS IT degree.

I have no IT experience nor any certifications. Could someone please let me know what type of job and certifications I should target to begin my career in IT.

I would prefer to stay in project management, but I am open to training for another position.

thanks,

Comments

• Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    You could look into CompTIA's Project+ certification:

CompTIA Project+

-- Hope this Helps.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What did you like or do best in while working towards your MS IT degree? Are you looking to "start over at the bottom" or are you trying to "slide over" into a management position?

What's your engineering background? If you have an Industrial Engineering degree/background then you might want to look at Data Center University by APC.

I don't consider the PMP an IT Certification, but if you're experienced in Project Management that could help (once the economy rebounds).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Dr. SmoothDr. Smooth Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    What did you like or do best in while working towards your MS IT degree? Are you looking to "start over at the bottom" or are you trying to "slide over" into a management position?

What's your engineering background? If you have an Industrial Engineering degree/background then you might want to look at Data Center University by APC.

I don't consider the PMP an IT Certification, but if you're experienced in Project Management that could help (once the economy rebounds).

That is a good question. I liked all of my classes, because it gave me a better understanding of the details of programming, networks, security, and how to analyze the entire system.

However, I had greater interest in the classes where I was applying a new or re-engineered IT strategy to a business case.

Ideally, I would like to slide over into a project management position, but if not possible I am willing to start over.

I do have an Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering background.