Passed the 298 - MCSE

Well, they say that every dog has his today; I suppose today was mine. I did manage to pass the exam with a 784 this morning. After about 40 minutes of technical difficulties (prometric's newest update not working on the testing machine), I got started. I actually enjoyed this as it gave me time to compose my thoughts and calm my nerves. I felt comfortable with the material as I have used Transcender to practice and it represented the exam pretty well.

I am happy to have become a MCSE as I have thought about this for many years; just never decided to go for it. With the help of many people here, I have succeeded what I set out to do. Thank you so much.

Comments

• bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats...time to update your cert profile!
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations man! I know you feel very good right now. Nice job
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Congrats, how long did it take you to pass all of the exams?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good job elwood. I have hopes to be in your shoes soon :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • ElwoodBluesElwoodBlues Member Posts: 117
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    Congrats, how long did it take you to pass all of the exams?

I passed my first one on November 21, 2008 and my 7th one today. I made best efforts to commit myself to this.
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    I passed my first one on November 21, 2008 and my 7th one today. I made best efforts to commit myself to this.

So about one a month, nice. I have worked extensively with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2007 over the past few years and am thinking about going for the exams, how much time a night on average do you think you studied, if you don't mind me asking.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    snadam wrote: »
    good job elwood. I have hopes to be in your shoes soon :)

Whatever. You'd be lucky to pass 294 before 2010 icon_lol.gif

Congrats Elwood! What's next after the mandatory celebration? drunken_smilie.gif
  • HarryVHarryV Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I take 298 tomorrow morning. any recommendations? I've been using transenders too. my average on them is about 87%.
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    how much time a night on average do you think you studied, if you don't mind me asking.

I averaged about 40 hours on the MCSA level tracks and probably more like 60 on the MCSE level material. Those were usually more detailed and in a "structured situation setting" type questions where there may have been more than one way to obtain the objective; however you needed to pick the best choice.

dynamik wrote: »
    Congrats Elwood! What's next after the mandatory celebration? drunken_smilie.gif

I may consider the 299; however I am not sure that I know it enough to just take it at this point. I am definatly going to take an Exchange course. I am using 2003 now, but I am not positive if I will forgo 2007 for 2010 or not.

What are your thoughts on an Exchange Course for the MCSE 2003?

HarryV wrote: »
    Congrats. I take 298 tomorrow morning. any recommendations? I've been using transenders too. my average on them is about 87%.

Transcenders was a good representation of the exam. Know your reasons why the answers are correct and others are not; the easy one and the hard ones. If you could start from scratch and run thru the Transcers tests and working the questions out with passing scores (not answer memorization), then you will do just fine.
    I may consider the 299; however I am not sure that I know it enough to just take it at this point. I am definatly going to take an Exchange course. I am using 2003 now, but I am not positive if I will forgo 2007 for 2010 or not.

What are your thoughts on an Exchange Course for the MCSE 2003?

There's really not much new material in 299; most of it is review from 291 and 293.

The MCSE:M is still popular on job boards, and it would probably be worth your time if you're using it. I don't know much about 2003 myself; I started with 2007.
    dynamik wrote: »
    There's really not much new material in 299; most of it is review from 291 and 293.

The MCSE:M is still popular on job boards, and it would probably be worth your time if you're using it. I don't know much about 2003 myself; I started with 2007.

Well, we are using 2003; but our next step is to another version. Since 2007 is supported on 2003 (64bit), it may help with migration. However I assume that the 2010 will need to be on server 2008. Therefore I am leaning towards 2007; even though I am not using it. I'm really clueless on what to take from here (wasn't sure I would ever get the MCSE). icon_surprised.gif
    It does look like 2010 will indeed require Server 2008: Exchange 2010 System Requirements: Exchange 2010 Beta Help

You can go from 2003 to 2010, so you may want to just wait a bit if you're going to be doing an upgrade soon: Coexisting with Exchange 2010: Exchange 2010 Beta Help
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Awesome! Congrats on your MCSE icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Big Congrats. MCSE is a nice achievement.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing!!! If you are going the 299, I would pick up the book, its cheap, used on Amazon. It does cover some material from 291 and 293, but touches more in depth on SSL, IPSec, PKI, etc. A month should be enough for you.
  • tomkentomken Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on obtaining the MSCE!!!
  • GBAKER2204GBAKER2204 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats - I hope to be in your shoes by the end of the year (3 exams to go before December).

Reading your experiences of the exams has given me additional inspiration to get the MCSE 2003 finished.
    WIP: 2017 - VCP6.5-DCV (Achieved), VCAP6-DCV, Citrix CCA-V
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Excellent stuff. Congrats on the MCSE, thats an excellent achievement icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    Congrats, nice work
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Arrrrgh, you beat me to it Elwood!! Nice job though and congratulations!

What would you say was is the most important thing you've taken away from the trek up MCSE mountain?
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Arrrrgh, you beat me to it Elwood!! Nice job though and congratulations!

What would you say was is the most important thing you've taken away from the trek up MCSE mountain?

I have learnerd that the right answer to you is not the right answer for others.

Well, sortof. I have learned the technology, best practices and this has given me the confidence to believe I can design a secure and effective Microsoft enviroment.
    I have learnerd that the right answer to you is not the right answer for others.
    Slowhand wrote: »
    There's the right way, the wrong way, and One Microsoft Way.

'Nuff said ;)
  • Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the MCSE! icon_cheers.gif
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • GBAKER2204GBAKER2204 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass - how good does it feel to be MCSE?
    WIP: 2017 - VCP6.5-DCV (Achieved), VCAP6-DCV, Citrix CCA-V
    It feels like I have alot of work to do to show everything I learned.