beginner advice

fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello - I am interested in learning SQL. I pretty much have zero working knowledge of the product. Before jumping on 70-431 is there any resources (books/videos/etc) I should look into before watching CBT or purchasing the MS Press Books.

Thanks
-E
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Comments

• drewkegdrewkeg Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well not sure if I would consider this advice, but I can tell you what I'm doing. I first read up on some information on normalized and denormalized databases and looked at some query writing through Technet. I have both CBT nuggets and TestOut. For practice tests I'm using Measure Up and Transcender. I have the All in One MCITP book by Darril Gibson which actually covers the 431, 441, and the 442. So far I like the book. I just got it so I cant give much more of a review. I also have a virtual environment set up with server 2008 rc and SQL 2005 express with adventure works installed. I'm scheduled to take the exam pretty soon. I came into like you with no prior experience. It has been difficult, but I'm getting there.
    Hope that helped. Good Luck

Have Triplets, Need Beer
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    drewkeg wrote: »
    I have both CBT nuggets and TestOut. For practice tests I'm using Measure Up and Transcender.
    If yuo can get your hands on any of these resources, do so. I did this exam about a year ago and it took me several weeks just to understand the principles - so it was very frustrating to begin with. I did not have video based training though, which I would have LOVED to have then. It really would have cut down on the learning time, and it always helps to watch people do something rather than just read it.

I have, and do not recommend, the MS Press book. I would recommend SQL 2005 unleashed.

If you're going to set this up, I would also recommend the APRESS book on High Availability.

Be prepared for lots of sims.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fluk3d wrote: »
    Hello - I am interested in learning SQL. I pretty much have zero working knowledge of the product. Before jumping on 70-431 is there any resources (books/videos/etc) I should look into before watching CBT or purchasing the MS Press Books.

Thanks
    -E

Question, do you want to learn SQL, or one of Microsoft's SQL Server products? From what I remember, 70-431 requires minimal knowledge of SQL.

MS
  • fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want to get a basic principle of SQL, I was thinking the MS SQL would be a good start, and then I can get an idea if I decide to get in Oracle etc..

I took a quick look through the SQL Unleashed it looks great
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    I want to get a basic principle of SQL
    The 70-431 test is more oriented towards completing a task, not so much analyzing statements.

If it is the language you want to get down first, dont worry about 70-431 for a while.
    I want to get a basic principle of SQL, I was thinking the MS SQL would be a good start, and then I can get an idea if I decide to get in Oracle etc..

I took a quick look through the SQL Unleashed it looks great

If you're looking for a certification that tests SQL skill, I would recommend the following:

Oracle University Select Country

I did this one a while back. Although it is Oracle, the exam mostly covered standard generic SQL stuff that you will find in everyone's version of SQL.

MS
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I think I'm in the same boat here. As in I only really want to know the basics of SQL. Seeing as I almost have my MSCA I thought maybe some kind of data knowledge would be a bonus. Right now I'm reading the MS book for the 431.

Hoping its not too in depth about commands etc.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

knownhero wrote: »
    I only really want to know the basics of SQL.

The WROX books have some good beginner/intermediate/pro SQL books that are are more language and syntax oriented than you will find for the 431 book.
    knownhero wrote: »
    I think I'm in the same boat here. As in I only really want to know the basics of SQL. Seeing as I almost have my MSCA I thought maybe some kind of data knowledge would be a bonus. Right now I'm reading the MS book for the 431.

Hoping its not too in depth about commands etc.

Here's the basics:

Select * from <tablename>

:)
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    Here's the basics:

Select * from <tablename>

:)

Ha!

I used Mysql with asp.net/HTML front ends throughout middle/high school. When I was in 7th grade I stumbled upon this site and I used it to teach me the very basics W3Schools Online Web Tutorials They have more than just sql and i think it is pretty decent.