Exchange Exam Recommendation

I have jsut become a MCSE 2003 and I am looking to take an exam for Exchange. We currently use 2003 here and are a single domain; therfore nothing really complicated is going on. However, my goal is to learn more about Exchange and becoming a better administrator of it.

So I am looking for some advice and recommendations on what exam I should take; the 2007 or 2003? Would I be lost in the 2007 course since I have not taken the 2003? If the 2007 version of exchange is easier to manage, I may be convinced to upgrade.

Thanks for the input

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2007 is pretty different from 2003, and with 2010 around the corner, I'd advise you to pass on 2003.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    284 is one of the more difficult MS exams I have taken, but if you don't use 2007 and aren't very familiar with PowerShell then you won't find the 236 exam to be much easier.

If you want the MCSE:Messaging title to set yourself apart from the other MCSEs, go for 284 and 285 exams on Exchange 2003. Even if your environment isn't that complicated you will learn things that can help improve your organization. If you are interested in learning more about 2007 - perhaps planning to upgrade like you say - then move on to the 2007 exams. I recommend you choose what is best for you and your career goals.
  • ElwoodBluesElwoodBlues Member Posts: 117
    Update:

I will sit the 70-236 on the 14th. I've got Transcender to help me hammer it home.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If the 2007 version of exchange is easier to manage, I may be convinced to upgrade.

I can't say I've found Exchange 2007 to be easier than 2003 in any way. Some things (public folders and SSL certs for example) proved to be a real pain in my arse where as in 2003 it was easier. I am referring to the learning process in general. Exchange 2007 might very well be easier to manage once the commands are more familiar.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've always been an advocate of "certify what you know first". Exchange 2003 is pretty different from 2007, and if you move on to the next job, Exchange 2003 will still be out there probably and those skill will still be sought out.

My answer: do both :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • tuscanituscani Member Posts: 121
    I agree... do both.. and yes 70-284 is a beast!