• cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    thank you Mentor for the tech notes.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    cdad2000 wrote:
    thank you Mentor for the tech notes.
    You're welcome :)
    elvey wrote:
    You can prevent SMTP traffic originating from the WANs from traveling over link A by putting an outbound extended IP access list on the Serial 0 interface of RouterX. Use the following commands on RouterX:

router(config)#access-list 105 deny TCP any host 172.16.11.253 eq SMTP
    router(config)#access-list 105 permit IP any any
    router(config)#interface serial 0
    router(config-if)#ip access-group 105 out
    Doesn't that only prevent SMTP traffic originating from the WANs from traveling over link A IF its final destination is 172.16.11.253, but allow other SMTP traffic from the WANs over link A?

- oh, and thanks!
    crash.gif You're absolutely right. I think I wrote that in with an additional SMTP server in mind (similar to a setup I've installed several times). The config above would indeed still pass SMTP traffic destined for other IPs than the router, hence "prevent SMTP traffic originating from the WANs from traveling over link A" is not what it does indeed. I hope I didn't confuse anyone. Nice catch elvey, I will correct it today. icon_redface.gif
  • siddalinga swamysiddalinga swamy Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    Thanks guys,
    are they enough for thr preparation
    No, first I'm not finished writing all the TechNotes for the CCNA exam yet. Second, you should never rely on a single source. You should combine other material with our TechNotes, a CCNA CBT or book for example.
    Frame-Relay can also be of interest for 607
    Yes, and we will have it in the future, it is still under construction. icon_wink.gif
  • KMAN24KMAN24 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster.....Any chance for technotes on these subjects ?
    There are a couple of other exams I'm currently working on (70-270 and Sec+), but I do plan to continue with the CCNA TechNotes and TechLabs, including one about subnetting, vlsm and some route summarization. It is kinda 'next' on my list though, so I can't give any indication yet and it might not be before you take your exam.
  • BadersaudBadersaud Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Think you john ill' print the all I will appreciate with this
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont wanna break your balls Webmaster but i saw a mistake on your standard access list section.
    You left out host before 192.168.23.11
    Nice job on all!!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
    On the contrary, I appreciate you for letting me know. As every human, I make a mistake once a while, and like to hear about it asap. I'll check it out and correct it if and as needed.

Thanks!
    Johan
  • kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just went over your technotes and I will probably take a quick look at it again before I take the exam. Thanks for taking the time to organize
    all this material for us.

kaj
  • dileepnnairdileepnnair Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    :)

Hi
    I ve visited ur site today.I m working in an IT company.i realised its a usefull guide for all technical students and IT related people.I like to use the site at all free time.

Thanks and regards,
    Dileep N Nair
  • evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the technotes. They are a big help. I will be taking the CCNA exam soon and this is a good review.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • jdunganjdungan Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    there are alot of grammatical errors. your paperwork will lose it's validity and importance with grammatical errors. for instance, ethernet is developed in 1970? is? think about it. i see it so much. people who cant tell the difference between there, their and they're, or than and then. use the word than when you are comparing, then is referring to time. spell check doesnt pickup these things. a little goes a long way. proof read your work, have even a second person read it to ensure you didnt miss anything.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    At the end of the day, these Technotes aren't supposed to be classics; so having a typo here and another there isn't a problem especially when one person is doing all the hard work.

The CCNA Technotes do a great job of explaining important concepts without using too much wording, hence the name Technotes.

...but yes, some sort of approofals for the Technotes would be nice (if possible)

2lbs.[/b]
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • debdebdebdeb Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This was very well done but it needs to add the fact about where it's recommended to place an ACL for standard vs. extended. This is definitely on the CCNA. Standard lists are typically placed on the port closest to the destination (farthest away from the traffic to be filtered) and extended lists are typically placed closest to the source of the traffic. This should be discussed as well as why these recommendations exist and under what cases you might not want to use these rules (since it's not a requirement just the most common usage).

Also there's no mention of the 'implicit deny' at the end (invisible entry).

Deb

Webmaster wrote:
    :D Just finished a new TechNote for the CCNA exam:

IP Access Lists

Let me know if it isn't thorough enough :)
  • QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    Jeez... Positive criticism guys... Positive criticism. People... complaining about proof reading! A little bit too harsh if you are going to critique someone's notes that he is performing/ creating for a large set of users. He can be or we can be techs... not English majors like you apparently are.

I assume these technotes are "works-in-production" and we should be appreciating that they are at our disposal. We can always ask him to add items or recommend to add items for future releases.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • debdebdebdeb Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WHAT are you talking about???!! My comments didn't say anything about any grammatical errors, but to say that he left out a MAJOR sub-topic about access lists. Since these are notes are in production as you say, and he did request comments I politely said that he should include that most important topic. Every single article about access lists mentions where to put them. Is this the kind of reply everyone gets on this list for making valid suggestions? I'd think the writer would want to be as complete as possible, or if the purpose of the tech note is to give a very brief overview (leaving out important info intentionally), then tell that to the reader up front. Many people here are beginners and wouldn't know that they're only getting a brief overview. I've written many tech notes and manuals for beginners and programmers so am not an idiot in this department.

I'll unsubscribe now, this place isn't worth it. You all deserve each other.
    QUIX0TIC wrote:
    Jeez... Positive criticism guys... Positive criticism. Jdunbab... complaining about proof reading! A little bit too harsh if you are going to critique someone's notes that he is performing/ creating for a large set of users. He can be or we can be techs... not English majors like you apparently are.

I assume these technotes are "works-in-production" and we should be appreciating that they are at our disposal. We can always ask him to add items or recommend to add items for future releases.
    debdeb... QUIX0TIC is referring to jdungan's comments. icon_wink.gif
    I'd think the writer would want to be as complete as possible, or if the purpose of the tech note is to give a very brief overview (leaving out important info intentionally), then tell that to the reader up front. Many people here are beginners and wouldn't know that they're only getting a brief overview.
    Absolutely. I'd never leave out something intentionally. The opposite actually. If you compare my early TechNotes (A+, older Net+) with some of the newer (Sec+) you can see that they are getting more detailed. I have at least four 80% finished TechNotes which I keep postponing because I run into things I feel that should be in it. Our motto is quality over quantity. I rather have a detailed Tech Note about a small number of topics, rather than a 30 page cramguide with all topics. When I started writing these TechNotes three years ago, I defined them as 'detailed summaries'. All the essential info without the fluff.

You've made some very valid comments and I will include your suggestions in the next rewrite of those TechNotes.
    QUIX0TIC wrote:

Thansk QUIX0TIC. As the first post in this topic says:
    These notes are to be considered beta untill I put them all together in a single PDF file. This means the order of certain topics might be changed later and additional info might be added or info might be moved to other TechNotes. Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions so I can edit/replace it before it ends up in the PDF guide.

The whole idea of these TechNotes are that I write them, you comment, I rewrite, you comment again, I rewrite, put it in PDF, and after some time start all over. Obviously I started writing TechNotes for too many exams/certs, to finish a PDF quickly. I know I have some catching up to do with the CCNA material.

However, that's no excuse for bad grammar and spelling errors. The excuse for that is that English is not my mother's tongue and most of the CCNA TechNotes I've written over two years ago. I like to believe my English improved a lot since, and I know the common mistakes by now (did I really confuse there, their and they're, or than and then?). Anyway, I appreciate the critics.
    debdeb wrote:
    Also there's no mention of the 'implicit deny' at the end (invisible entry).
    It's mentioned three times actually, including in the first two paragraphs.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Johan,

I think I'd have a tough time without your help!

I'm going to test for my CCNA in @ 2 months, so wish me luck!
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Grammatical errors or no grammatical errors, these tech notes seem pretty dang valid to me. Thank you very much Johan!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

I promise I will have new/updated TechNotes (CCENT and CCNA) ready soon.

One of the main reasons I haven't been posting a lot in the forums over the past year is that I've been working on CCNA 'material' on-and-off, mostly on, for the past 13 months.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could you leave the older technotes, such as ISDN, on here after the update? Maybe just put it in it's own little section so we can still read through it.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    I'd like to see some route summarization tech notes
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • kudarkudar Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Sure no problem. :D

so was a pdf of this ever constructed?
  • isaboxisabox Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Here are the first in a new serie of TechNotes for the CCNA exam (in random order ;)):

These notes are to be considered beta untill I put them all together in a single PDF file. This means the order of certain topics might be changed later and additional info might be added or info might be moved to other TechNotes. Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions so I can edit/replace it before it ends up in the PDF guide.

icon_arrow.gifBasic Router Configuration and Management

icon_arrow.gifLAN Technologies

icon_arrow.gifOSI model

icon_arrow.gifIntegrated Services Digital Network (ISDN)

icon_arrow.gifIP Access Lists

icon_arrow.gifCisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) new

Johan

Hi
    I really appreciate your work. These are great. Is there anyway that yo u can write a tutorial on(how to set up a "t.f.t.p." server, and access the files from the cisco switches, upgrading the IOS). This is just my request, but I think it will help a lot of people.
    Thanks
  • isaboxisabox Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    Only the first note has a printable version, not all of them. Can you please give us the printable versions for the notes. I am asking for the printable(notes not the website).
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Could we get a technote on binary conversion and subnetting?