I'm studying for the SY0-201 Security + Exam

GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi I'm new here.. s4mnip.gif

I'm studying for SY0-201.. I took a live course, I have a book (has a lighthouse on it icon_wink.gif ) I've been doing some practice tests on here. Is there
any other resources I should use? I've been working in IT as a sys admin for years, but I have not taken any "certs" before. I want to branch towards security more then network administration, But I have to admit, I have to admit, I have a really bad fear of failing... so I'm not trying to rush into taking the test.
Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GeeLo wrote: »
    Hi I'm new here.. s4mnip.gif

I'm studying for SY0-201.. I took a live course, I have a book (has a lighthouse on it icon_wink.gif ) I've been doing some practice tests on here. Is there
    any other resources I should use? I've been working in IT as a sys admin for years, but I have not taken any "certs" before. I want to branch towards security more then network administration, But I have to admit, I have to admit, I have a really bad fear of failing... so I'm not trying to rush into taking the test.

I am glad you are asking this question, I was just looking for some online practice tests for the SY0-201. There does not seem to be many practice tests for the version. Anyone know of any?

By the way, welcome to TechExams! This forum is very friendly and helpful.
  • AD200AD200 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I used the practice tests on measureup and found them to be really good. I also used the exam cram book!

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

A
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    TestOut is going to be releasing updated materials for the new exam shortly...I emailed their customer support about it, since their site said that the update is coming in "summer 2009" and they said the digital version is available by emailing them for purchase, or the hard copy/shipped version should be available online ~8/14 (Friday). But...they're a full prep suite (videos, quizzes, simulations, tests) and are a bit pricy if you're not using an educational discount.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Baldeagle79Baldeagle79 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on the SYO-201 exam...I'm in the same boat (never tested before, etc). I'm testing tomorrow, as a matter of fact.

I don't know of any good free resources out there yet, but I have purchased a 30 day online access to Transcender.com's Security+ questions. They have 351 questions, and about 408 flashcards with the access, but it runs about $69. They have a "guarantee" that you will pass, but I haven't read the fine print (e.g., perhaps they only cover exams on odd numbered days in July or something). Co-workers who have plenty of certs swear by Transcender, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I see that other sites have a lot more questions, so maybe it's worth a shot. I would recommend a test engine or something though, just to get you into the habit of reading and answering questions.
    So far, my strategy of using Sybex's texts (Dulaney's 'Guide' and Stewart's Review) as well as the 351 Transcender questions has helped me with one other textbook's review questions. I just reviewed the Mike Meyer's Security+ Passport book (the updated version) by only taking the review questions for each of the 13 chapters (10 questions per chapter) WITHOUT reading the book, and I got a 95% overall (missed 7 questions total...a couple of those were just a mistake on my part...rushing through it).

Maybe there's a good general theme!

I would point out that if you're using the materials I mentioned, that you should know what FM-200 (aragon) is used for, and that you should use power conditioners for "brownouts" instead of an UPS or Backup Generator. Meyers seems to have included a few things that weren't covered elsewhere, and are good practical knowledge...so I'll read his book for sure!
  • BubbaJSmithBubbaJSmith Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed SY0-201 a couple of weeks ago on my first try. I used CBT Nuggets, basically converting them for use on my iPhone and listening to the lectures to/from work on my 40 minute commute. This worked out well for me. I did also use the Transcender practice tests which helped out a lot in determining which areas I was weak in.
    I used the 30 day online access to transcender.com for Security+ (they have the new test SYO-201 objectives), and it was extremely helpful. The best thing with Transcender is to make sure you know why the wrong answers are wrong, as well. Read the explanations, and understand/memorize as much as you can. The Sybex book was good at covering 95% of the exam (just an arbitrary measurement), but as I mentioned in another post, you should go into a little more detail on the ports, protocols, etc. (e.g., NetBIOS runs over 137, 138, and 139 and LDAP runs over 389 and 636....know the difference on testday). icon_wink.gif

It also goes without saying to make sure you know when and how to use the protocols, and know enough about the different cryptographic algorithms to know which ones are symmetric or asymmetric, the relative age of them, and the relative strengths (e.g., which ones are 'stronger' etc).

Using Transcender.com and the Sybex books (Study Guide and Review Guide for SYO-201), I got an 830 after about 2 weeks of studying everyday/night.