Unitek Boot Camps for MCDST 70-271 & 70-272

tonygtonyg Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
My company needs to get several of us certified in various MS certs. MCDST 70-271 & 70-272 were chosen for me.

I have been a sys admin for a few years now, but it is in a small organization, so some of what is covered in the MCDST book by Sybex, I have never done. While I don't agree with the boot camp way of getting a cert, the company is footing the bill and it may be quicker than me studying on my own.

Has anyone had any experince with Unitek boot camps? Are there any other boot camp companies out there that have a good rep? $2395 for these two tests seems like a lot of money, but time is short and they need us to get our certs in a hurry.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

IT Training, Cisco Training, CompTIA Training, Microsoft Training - Unitek Education

Comments

• thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why do they want you to get your certs in a hurry? I am sorry but if you never done any type of work on Windows XP and your a system admin ?????
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • tonygtonyg Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you had read my post, you would see that I point out that I am in a small organization, so my XP experience is limited to single machine installs, and even then I rarely do that. As you should know, or I assume you would know based on that alphabet soup of letters you have listed in your profile, there is much more to being a system administrator. Such as managing Exchange, Blackberry Enterprise Server, MOM, physical work such as racking & stacking in a data center, etc... Those are the areas I have spent a majority of my time in and have a high level of proficiency in.

Thanks for your insulting reply. It is people like you on forums like this that usually keeps me from using them.

If you don't have anything useful to provide towards answering a persons post, but reply simply to insult others and show us all just how smart you are, you shouldn't even bother.

Have a nice day.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow. This got out of hand in a hurry.

I never do any of the deployment tasks or a few other things as well. It's not a big deal.

I don't know anything about Unitek, but I've heard good things about Global Knowledge. You might want to check out their offerings as well.

I assume they're pushing for certified individuals for some sort of partner status. At least they're not providing ****. Check out Transcender as well; those practice exams are pretty good.

Also, no need to double post. It gets a bit confusing trying to maintain two separate conversations: http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/45694-unitek-boot-camps-mcdst-70-271-70-272-a.html
  • jay754jay754 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi tonyg
    With Unitek being US based, afraid I dont know anything about them but the site and facilities look good so they might just be worth the price. I think they may be a little over-priced but not by much.

I agree with Dynamik, company is likely looking for some level of partner status to bring in more business via MS so they need to earn partner points quickly by employing X number of MCPs.

I'd probably check out New Horizons too. Dont know if they have a location near you.

Best of luck!
    J.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tony,

If your company is footing the bill, I'd take the classes. I'm not a fan of bootcamps, unless you have some experience, which you obviously do. Getting the cert can only help your career and resume.
    I do a ton of deployments, with various software installs at one site and RIS at another site, its all good practice.