Options

Scjp+

I wonder if anyone knows anymore about this exam? It looks like it's going to replace the SCJP and Sun is getting rid of multiple choice in favor of actually having the testers type the code in to produce an output.

Beta for this started July 22nd; no reports at JavaRanch of anyone actually being contacted with a voucher however.

https://www.suntrainingcatalogue.com/eduserv/client/learningPath.do?p=/training/certification/beta_scjp_plus.html

I wonder if using the + is a copyright problem.
Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I've not read of an SCJP+ cert for Java 6, but I'm certainly in favor of entering code rather than only multiple choice and matching items. Let's hope Sun also decides to provide the new Java cert exam(s) a reasonable cost too. If so, then I'll get interested in this Java cert too.
    TravR1 wrote: »
    I wonder if using the + is a copyright problem.
    It would be a Trademark issue, not copyright. And because the use of numbers and punctuation in itself can't be trademarked, I don't think there's a problem. The courts wouldn't let Intel trademark "386," and I don't remember hearing about Microsoft suing over the use of "#" in the name of the Wireless# cert.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    If it means moving from "let's test candidates on code that someone wrote while being on halucinogens" attitude to "let's see how candidates solve problem x through java code" attitude, then the change is right on the point and maybe past due...
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Sounds good. I'm all for testing real coding skills - as long as the exam engine is flexible enough to allow you to correct those silly coding mistakes we all make - well, ahem, your current correspondent makes - occasionally.

Going to SCJD to get a qualification to show that you can actually code does seem extreme.
    -- Dan
  • Options
    dmarshdmarsh Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    danclarke wrote: »
    Going to SCJD to get a qualification to show that you can actually code does seem extreme.

I don't think so, that was the point of the SCJD, to prove you actually could produce working code to a spec.

Sun also promised their certs would be lifetime, there was worrying talk of SCJP+ expiring SCJP ?
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    dmarsh wrote: »
    ... that was the point of the SCJD, to prove you actually could produce working code to a spec.

Fair comment - and I certainly did not want to cast aspersions on SCJD. In fact, all respect to you for having SCJD and even SCEA!

What I meant was that - as you suggest - SCJD is about demonstrating the ability to synthesise design and coding from a specification.

However, as someone who is currently at SCJP level, I would appreciate an early opportunity to show that, not only can I recognise correct and incorrect syntax in other people's code, but I also have some capability to put my own code together.
    -- Dan
  • Options
    jasonsmith092jasonsmith092 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds good. I'm all for testing real coding skills - as long as the exam engine is flexible enough to allow you to correct those silly coding mistakes we all make - well, ahem, your current correspondent makes - occasionally.
    A lot of information here about ccsp certification
    FOR Study
    cissp test
    For information
    mcdst courses
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is cool,

I think were all tired of the Comptia multiple choice exams... a) It'll give us a real challenge and b) It'll keep dumpers at bay.

I really think the change is for the better.

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...