MCSA/MCSE certification

JefreyJefrey Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, i hope you can help me to clarify few things about these exams

Iv decided to study for ccna and hope ill pass it till the end of the year, now my real problem is what to do after..

Since i don't have bachelor degree im having the hard time finding the job even the volontiering, so i decided to go into the college next year and pass some certifications while im there...and i hope those will get me some job in the industry

Logical would be to continue with ccnp after ccna but since i don't own necessary equipment and im not working in IT yet i think its not a great idea even though i have emulator for cisco routers which im using for ccna but i just don't think they r enough for ccnp...so i decided to go for MCSA/MCSE since i think i can do almost all necessary to pass this exams while using virtual machine....
Now my qustion is what is going on with these exams and r they still active? Problem is i read few articals about mcsa/mcse exams where not active anymore, and that they where replaced with MCTIP and some other certifications...

BTW i know that thers a difference between system and network administration but i hope combination cisco, microsoft, and linux on the end will get me some job so i could get more into network area later...

Now i just can't get it really, most of the servers here r MS 2003 and older... and i saw some exams where only for 2008 so i just don't know where to start...

I would really like to know whats the starting point...before it was mcsa/mcse and now i really don't know what to study since i don't know what should be a starting point or what kind of exam or cert to pass for future microsoft system engineers at ...basically qustion is is mcsa/mcse exam still exist as an certification or theres some replacement, and what would that replacement be.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• TopTechTopTech Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think Windows 2003 will be around for quite some time yet.
    In your position I would do the MCSA for Windows 2003, then see how you get on with that before deciding in which direction to continue.
    Much of it depends on what you want to do for work, how much time you have to study, etc. Getting the MCSA and possibly the CCNA will give you a good start.
    Not many places have installed Windows 2008 yet, so I don't think there will be as many job opportunities now as there will be later.
    I'm hoping for myself to complete MCSE in W2003; upgrade to W2008; update my CCNA; then a Win 7 cert in there somewhere along the way. My aim is to continue working in systems and network administration. Bear in mind that Cisco CCNA exams expire after 3 years (I assume they still do) so you might want to leave that one until the end.
    Try not to plan too far ahead though. Take it steps at a time, otherwise you'll just have half-finished certs and nothing completed.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you thought about the MCDST and trying to land a help desk type job? You could probably knock those two exams out quickly and start looking for an entry-level job.
  • JefreyJefrey Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the answer guys i appreciate that

I don't have plenty of time but since i lost my primary job due to the crisis im trying to build carrier in IT cause computers and networks where my interests for a long time now so ill be focusing all my free time on studies.
    Iv already started ccna and im going on regional academy but i think were moving too slow...3 months for one semester and problem is that imho most stuff will be forgothen after such a long time...for example i almost finished routing protocols and concepts but we haven't even pass the final for the first module yet...so ill probably gonna try to do ccna on my own with books and simulators which will i hope serve my turn to get ccna cert...
    About MCDST well not many desktop support jobs here so i don't think that will help me with my job...eventually i would like to work in network field so i though some system or server kind of cert will help me better to get me job in the network field later...
    @ TopTech
    Im really interested to whats going one with mcsa/mcse cause if i remeber correctly mcsa was one exam and mcse was few exams including the exam for mcsa...xp, vista, implementing and managing S 2003...active directory...etc
    Now i would surely like to have ms system adm...eng...cert beside ccna network cert but i just didn't know for what certification should i go since iv heard mcsa/mcse where retired and doesn't exist anymore...
    Just another qustion i hope you can lend me a hand here. If i decide to go for mcsa 2003 beside ccna, what books should i look at in your opinion...and also what exams would i need to pass later to be fully mcse certified.

Thank you
  • TopTechTopTech Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From what I remember, there are 4 exams for MCSA in W2003. I took 70-290; 70-291; 70-620. I think there's an elective exam as well, but as I already had MCSE in Windows NT, it was waived for me. MCSA is not a walk in the park. It takes some effort to go through it, but it's an excellent start. Afterwards, there are, I believe, 3 more exams for the full MCSE.

If you complete the MCSA or the MCSE, you can do upgrade exam(s) to get to certain levels for the W2008 certs later.

MCSA/MCSE is not retired and is unlikely to be for some time. It's just that with Win 2008, the certs are named differently now, so the MCSx naming will be last used in Win 2003.

The one-exam cert you are thinking of is probably MCP. If you're rushed for time, do the 70-290 exam for Win 2003 to get the MCP on your resume. It's a fairly easy, straight-forward exam.

For the books - the Microsoft Press and the Syngress books seem to be the best, if you read them both. The MS Press are well written, but sometimes might be lacking some of the material.
    Thanks for the clarification and advices!

Cheers
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TopTech wrote: »
    From what I remember, there are 4 exams for MCSA in W2003. I took 70-290; 70-291; 70-620. I think there's an elective exam as well, but as I already had MCSE in Windows NT, it was waived for me. MCSA is not a walk in the park. It takes some effort to go through it, but it's an excellent start. Afterwards, there are, I believe, 3 more exams for the full MCSE.

If you complete the MCSA or the MCSE, you can do upgrade exam(s) to get to certain levels for the W2008 certs later.

MCSA/MCSE is not retired and is unlikely to be for some time. It's just that with Win 2008, the certs are named differently now, so the MCSx naming will be last used in Win 2003.

The one-exam cert you are thinking of is probably MCP. If you're rushed for time, do the 70-290 exam for Win 2003 to get the MCP on your resume. It's a fairly easy, straight-forward exam.

For the books - the Microsoft Press and the Syngress books seem to be the best, if you read them both. The MS Press are well written, but sometimes might be lacking some of the material.

Yes and to follow up on that note, the MCSA is 4 exams in total: 2 Core, 1 Client OS,and 1 Elective. The MCSE is 7/8 exams (depending on your path; and even that might have changed recently) which is 4 Core, 1 Client OS, 1 Design, and 1 elective exam. The MCSA can cover the majority of the MCSE (depending on your track), and most people only need an additional 3 exams to finish up the MCSE

Also, I havent really looked at these in about a year, but here are the. They changed the main pages for these certs, and the info seems easier to read.. Have a look at this to clear up any answers you may have.

Microsoft MCSA 2003 site
    Microsoft MCSE 2003 site
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    Great, thanks for further info m8!
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jefrey,
    My suggest is study that CCNA on your own and get out the network academy and spend your money on college and self study mcsa / mcse. You can finish these certs on your own. You do not really need lab equipment for the CCNA just use packet tracer or dynamips. I know what you mean no desktop jobs around. Just keep looking something will open it always does. I remember when I first started IT I had to look for 5 months while I was in college to get my first IT job. Trust me get that college degree will help.
    Earl
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    Thanks thenjduke, that's what i was planing to do...btw hope ill have enough energy to stick to the plan

Cheers