Options

asa 5505, voip, and laggy ftp/web

jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Since I put it in, web browsing is very laggy. We have voip and a 10mbit fiber connection. Cpu is consistently at around 20%. Pps is usually between 1000-2000. kbps is 2000-3000. The voip is marked with dscp EF on the dmz voip server.

Yesterday I noticed that while using voip, if I try and try to upload files by FTP to a partner the transfers just freeze (about 30 .pdf files <1mb each). However, when people go on break and there is no usage of voip, the FTP transfers occur normally and the web speeds up.

Is the ASA doing some sort of traffic handling by default that i'm not aware of (my asa knowledge is very limited).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    By default the ASA does no QOS (end even when configured only has one LLQ). Sounds like it's plain old saturation.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    By default the ASA does no QOS (end even when configured only has one LLQ). Sounds like it's plain old saturation.

I thought I blanked-out this post b/c shortly after posting I saw my mistake. I put full-duplex on the wrong interface and the ASA was auto-negotiating to half-duplex with the ISP's switch. I put full-duplex on the correct interface it and unsurprisingly all the problems went away.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ouch. You're lucky it wasn't a lot more problematic :) Duplex will bite you in the ass when you least expect it.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?