Options

I must have caught the Cisco bug

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

Well I think I must have caught the Cisco bug. I have just passed my CCNA and promised my self I would take a break and get my life back. However I'm finding myself itching to get studying again. I think this is because I'm finding it very rewarding at work now that I can start picking up the BAU networking tasks. What I'm finding frustrating is that a large portion of the work I'm doing is around making changes on the ASA's and I feel that I would like a deeper knowledge so I'm better equipped to take on the changes myself without needing to speak to the senior network engineer all the time. The CCNA has given me the ability to perfom network changes and troubleshoot issues and if their is an issue or change I'm not to sure about then I now know where to start looking to resolve it. However I think a deeper insight into security would really help me and I'm really enjoying getting involved with the security side.

I have been reading through the forums and it would seem that most people have found that the CBT with good old Jeremy and the official Cisco book is the prefered learning path. Is the official Cisco book the one by Michael Watkins and Kevin wallace? My next question is do you think GNS3 is enough lab wise or shall I just go for it and get the cisco kit. I like the idea of getting the kit although not quite sure what impact it will have on the electricity bill?

Well any advice opinons is always much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cjthedj45 wrote: »
    passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    I'm finding myself itching to get studying again
    If you go drunken_smilie.gif for 3 days, you'll forget all about icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In order of usefulness for the exam:

CBT Nuggets
    HANDS ON SDM PRACTICE
    HANDS ON SDM PRACTICE
    HANDS ON SDM PRACTICE
    HANDS ON SDM PRACTICE
    HANDS ON SDM PRACTICE
    HANDS ON SDM PRACTICE
    Cisco Press Quick Reference Sheets
    Cisco Press Book

and HANDS ON SDM PRACTICE

:)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    BubbaJSmithBubbaJSmith Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like the idea of getting the kit although not quite sure what impact it will have on the electricity bill?

I'm up to 7 routers, 4 switches, an ASA and a PIX, and the electric bill had not gone up much until I plugged in the A/C this summer. :)

In the end having the actual equipment and work hands on has been much more valuable for me personally.

You really can find great deals on ebay. I'm studying now for IINS and I have been using a 2610XM that I got for under $100 to practice with the SDM.
  • Options
    BubbaJSmithBubbaJSmith Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If you go drunken_smilie.gif for 3 days, you'll forget all about icon_study.gif

From the list of certs you have, I take it you haven't yet taken those three days to go drunken_smilie.gif ? :D:D
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    So do you want to learn more about the ASA device? I recommend then that you look into the SNAF (securing networks with ASA fundementals) exam.