Can This 3550-24 PWR be Saved?

mstew6579mstew6579 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone. I have a 3550-24 PWR switch that powers on, but does not display anything in the console. The system led is lit green, but, all of the port LED's are lit green with nothing plugged into them. Ive tried different console cables, PC's, terminal emulators, and different baud rates, but still no console output. If I plug a PC into one of the switchports I get a link light on the PC. Anyone have any Idea's?

Comments

• CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Have you tried holding down/pressing the mode button while booting, like you would for password recovery.
  • mstew6579mstew6579 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tried pressing the mode button while powering on, but still nothing.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did you ever see this switch work before?

Did you ever access it through he console port before?

How long did you hold the mode button for while powering up and did you have your terminal emulation software set for the usual 9600 baud configuration?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mstew6579mstew6579 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Did you ever see this switch work before?

Did you ever access it through he console port before?

How long did you hold the mode button for while powering up and did you have your terminal emulation software set for the usual 9600 baud configuration?

Never seen the switch work before (picked it up from a client)

Never accessed it through console port.

Held the mode button down for at least 10 seconds. Tried the usual 9600 baud rate as well as others.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    mstew6579 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone. I have a 3550-24 PWR switch that powers on, but does not display anything in the console. The system led is lit green, but, all of the port LED's are lit green with nothing plugged into them. Ive tried different console cables, PC's, terminal emulators, and different baud rates, but still no console output. If I plug a PC into one of the switchports I get a link light on the PC. Anyone have any Idea's?

mstew6579,

For the safety of your equipment, do NOT be plugging non-inline Ethernet power equipment into the switchports of the 3550-24 PWR switch. The "PWR" part of the switch name means there may be active electricity being sent out of the switch to the connected device which can be harmful for connected devices such as PCs that aren't expecting the electricity being received.

Does your client have a Cisco SmartNet account associated with this switch?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    For the safety of your equipment, do NOT be plugging non-inline Ethernet power equipment into the switchports of the 3550-24 PWR switch. The "PWR" part of the switch name means there may be active electricity being sent out of the switch to the connected device which can be harmful for connected devices such as PCs that aren't expecting the electricity being received.
    POE is only enabled if the switch detects something on the other end that wants power. It is fine to plug in a non POE device into a POE switch.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Never seen the switch work before (picked it up from a client)

Never accessed it through console port.

Held the mode button down for at least 10 seconds. Tried the usual 9600 baud rate as well as others.
    If you've tried all the various baud rates with nothing being shown on the console when it cold boots then I'd unfortunately have to say that it sounds like its dead. Somebody previously mentioned that they had a blown RS232 transceiver chip in their switch which prevented proper console operation but the actual switch still booted in their case.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When you're booting using the mode button, it will reset to 9600 baud for the initial messages -- and if you never see those then the console port is probably hosed.

When you hold the mode button and then power up the switch, you're supposed to hold the mode button until a second or two after the 1X LED turns off.

If you get (and can see) the "system interrupted" message then you know the console port still works.

With you terminal software set at the usual 9600 baud settings, you can also try unplugging the switch and plugging it back in -- and within the first 15 seconds when the 1x LED is flashing, hit the mode button and hold it while the 1x flashes amber and then goes solid green. Then let go....

If you don't get the "system interrupted" message or the "password recovery" message, the console port is probably hosed.

If the customer has a backup copy of the configuration you can check if VTY access is configured and allowed and what may be required to access the switch that way (passwords, authentication server, emergency local login user/password, etc).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!