Bad Test Taker

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
Man, I was thinking about what I do at work & all the stuff I know. I forgot more than some people in this field actually know & they have more certs than me. :D I think I'm a bad test taker, I haven’t failed a test but I really don't like to study & I usually test in the 700's..I think alot of IT is learning your environment that you work in & learning it well. To pass alot of these MS & higher level Cisco tests its basically learning ALOT of environments. Anyone feel the same? Like your Knowledge exceeds your certs? So,I'm studing these MS tests so I can recieve a piece of paper about something that I understand?

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    garv221 writes
    So,I'm studing these MS tests so I can recieve a piece of paper about something that I understand?

Yep! I think you have the whole picture. Consider, however, that if you read the statement of purpose for these certs, it's recommended that you take these "post expereience". The score is just some kind of benchmark set by the test suppliers that will give an indication that the test taker has reached an average level of proficiency in knowledge. But, after you get it passed, nobody really gives the proverbial "rat's derriere" about the score, just the "piece of paper"--except yourself. And, if you're like the majority of us who pursue these things, you're going to keep doing it just to "keep the edge"--whatever the edge may be to you.

I'm going to keep it up, anyway, because the people I work for seem to be impressed by displays of initiative. Displays like education and certification.

Well, keep on posting. You seem to know your stuff, even if you are a "bad test taker"--you may be, that's just the way some folks are.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • rentaghostrentaghost Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A 'living in the real world' exam might be more along the lines of this.

Q1. ABC Corp has its HQ in NewYork and sales offices in Chicago and Dallas. The color printer at HQ needs to be used by the accounts department at all sites.
    -- What words would you type into Google.com to find out how to achieve this?

Q2. Sally wants to upgrade her PC from Windows 98 to Windows XP
    -- Which discussion forum would you use to help you find the answer?
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was a good test taker until I met Sec+ icon_sad.gif

As a kid in High School I was always better than average with tests and afterwards anything I attempted I passed without having to study too hard. Then a few years ago I entered the IT world and started with A+ and cruised it easily by following a fairly structured study proceedure (even got close to 1000 on OS which amazed the heck outta me)- same with Net+ and a few MCPs. Then I met Sec+ ... decided to skip the beta as I did not have much study material. Was the first person in my country to sit Sec+ when it came live and was the first to fail icon_cry.gif Studied a lot harder and was blitzing all of the available practice tests with scores in the 90's, but walked into that little test room and my mind went totally blank icon_rolleyes.gif Dang I wish I had google available to me in there .... lol
    However I remain committed to passing it for my own satisfaction (or is that I should be committed for wanting to sit it again?) and when I get around to finding some time to review things I will try again.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    rentaghost wrote:
    A 'living in the real world' exam might be more along the lines of this.

Q1. ABC Corp has its HQ in NewYork and sales offices in Chicago and Dallas. The color printer at HQ needs to be used by the accounts department at all sites.
    -- What words would you type into Google.com to find out how to achieve this?

Q2. Sally wants to upgrade her PC from Windows 98 to Windows XP
    -- Which discussion forum would you use to help you find the answer?

OMFG LOL!
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.