Options

I need some help

knownasthatguyknownasthatguy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
If you can point me to a Tech Forum or field my question that would be great. I was in lab today at my Comm Coll and we were setting up an extensive Frame Relay network with CISCO routers and old black box Multiprotocol routers and Frame routers. The configuration for my CISCO is below:
interface Ethernet0
ip address 192.168.40.2 255.255.255.0
no ip mroute-cache
!
interface Serial0
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay IETF
no ip mroute-cache
no frame-relay inverse-arp
frame-relay lmi-type ansi
!
interface Serial0.1 point-to-point
ip address 192.168.70.1 255.255.255.0
frame-relay interface-dlci 24
!
interface Serial0[/u].2 point-to-point
ip address 192.168.60.1 255.255.255.0
frame-relay interface-dlci 26
!
interface Serial0.3 point-to-point
ip address 192.168.50.1 255.255.255.0
frame-relay interface-dlci 28

now, the problem was that the serial interface was up but the sub ifc was down. Every time I put in a new static route from the sub ifc, the ifc would temorarily be up up but after a while it would be down down but the main serial ifc 0/0 remained up up. I could not figure out why I was having this issue. I checked our Frame Rela switch and i had the right DLCI for the in and out interfaces, but the fact that the serial ifc 0/0 remained up up blew my mind. Do any of you have any ideas or can point me to a tech forum?
Is it getting bright in here, or am I just cool like that

Comments

• Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi,
    how about a static mapping :
    fr map ip x.x.x.x dlci broadcast
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You specified an encapsulation type of IETF, this leads me to believe that the frame-relay switch is not Cisco. Are you sure that the frame-switch supports ansi. You may need the ITU q933a lmi-type. If your IOS is new enough then do not specify an lmi-type. IOS is smart enough to read the lmi frames coming in to auto configure the lmi type for you. Usually, though you will only get up/down on the physical and down/down on the sub.

You shouldn't need a map statement, if you do a show frame-relay map you should see a single broadcast statement per point-to-point interface.

Usually when you get an up/up on the physical and a down/down on the subinterface you have bad dlci's entered. Do a show frame-relay pvc and check to make sure you only have 3 PVCs. If you have more than that then you are not matching the PVCs with the correct physical interfaces.

These commands are useful

debug frame-relay lmi - make sure the sequence numbers are incrementing for both the router and the switch.

show frame-relay lmi - make sure all of your sent and recieved counters are updating.

Show frame-relay map - Check to make sure you have a broadcast map per dlci

show frame-relay pvc - Check to make sure all DLCIs are active.

If the physical interface is UP/UP then it is not physical. It will come down to a configuration mismatch, either end-to-end or router-to-switch.