Job Advice HELP!

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
So after a long bad experience at my last job, I was laid off, mass layoffs at this company. Pretty sorry place to work. I have a job prospect with a company that is in the top 1,000 largest companies worldwide. Here is the story.

1. Face to face interview, not a ton of questions, felt 85% good about this, with the main IT manager and the local IT Manager, at a huge facility. 1,000+ acres. Local guy was definatley interested asking the head guy in front of me "whats the next step" head guys response "the first thing we are going to do is interview more candidates"

2. Next day phone interview with their network / cisco guy, nailed this one 110% I did get kinda lucky with his question selection.

3. Very next day, phone interview with their two windows admins, (which is my stronger area than general networking). Nailed this one, 110% these guys said, well I am sure someone will be calling you x or y person.

4. Went quite for a few weeks, called the Hr manager once or twice to follow up, then finally wrote an email to the three people I knew at the company to let them know I was facing a layoff and that I wanted to know where I stood (email after three weeks) got a response last week on monday saying, they had just interviewed the last candidate and that I would hear something one way or the other soon.

Wanted to know what everyone thought about this / what my next step should be? this is the first time in six years I have been unemployed, any advice is really appreciated.

Comments

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    File for unemployment ASAP. Keep plugging away at the job boards (craigslist, dice, monster, indeed, etc). Follow up again in a week or so, keep the interest alive but don't fixate on this one job. If there's a networking group in your area, join it. You might make a few contacts that could lead to other positions besides this one you are hoping for.

Just my .02 cents worth.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Bokeh wrote: »
    File for unemployment ASAP. Keep plugging away at the job boards (craigslist, dice, monster, indeed, etc). Follow up again in a week or so, keep the interest alive but don't fixate on this one job. If there's a networking group in your area, join it. You might make a few contacts that could lead to other positions besides this one you are hoping for.

Just my .02 cents worth.

That is what I would do as well. Don't put all your eggs in this one basket. Keep looking and if things work out with this one great, but if not you might be able to get some other jobs lined up.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree. You've done everything you can do regarding this particular job opening, you have to go full steam ahead and act as though you don't have a job... because you don't.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Like everyone else said I would not wait, act like you do not have a chance at the job you interviewed with and keep looking. I interviewed a couple of months ago with a pretty big company, got an offer letter signed it and returned it, got the welcome aboard packet with HR information and then was told there was a hiring freeze. I was supposed to start last month, so I am still looking.