I said yes to my old job.

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
I was working for 2 years as Helpdesk in a regional bank here in NY, i needed to finish my degree and we couldn't agree on the time that i need to go to school, (class was 2-4, 2 days a week) anyway i quit, went back to college, passed my class and done with my degree in Computer Science. I've been looking for 3 months now to find a job and haven't been very lucky. Currently i'm studying for my Network plus and at the same time doing some part time projects.

The girl from HR from the old job, the bank, just called me offering me a position again in the helpdesk. I guess she knew that i keep contact with 1 of my supervisors and knew that i was showing some interest due to the economy and things like that. The position even tho its still an entry level, its a stable position, full benefits, 401k plan, etc etc. Going to meet my old bosses tomorrow.

My only concern right now is during all this time, everyday i have been sending out resumes and have not gotten any serious replies. Except last week i got a call for a trading floor desktop support job, which i would love to do. I really don't want to ruin the good relationship that i have with the people in the bank, they know im good and i can work anytime for them so they would offer me the job like they did. But if the trade floor support job is a big opportunity if they call me, i wouldnt want to say no to them or no to the bank.

I had to take my old job tho, i don't want to feel useless sitting home doing nothing and just waiting. AAAh. What do you guys think? Did i do the right thing that i told them i would go back? Its a decent paycheck for now, but not what i would want to do.

Comments

• crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I would say you did the right thing. It's best to not have a gap in your employment history. Plus, this way you can keep sharp on your skills ;)
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Yeah you did the right thing i guess.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    TheFORCE wrote: »

I had to take my old job tho, i don't want to feel useless sitting home doing nothing and just waiting. AAAh. What do you guys think? Did i do the right thing that i told them i would go back? Its a decent paycheck for now, but not what i would want to do.

Only you can really determine if this is 'right' or not.

You may be surprised where this will lead long-term.

You could also negotiate that you'll commit to the position for 'x' months or 'x' years if they help pay for training/books/etc...for your cert studies. I don't think I'd do it for less then 24 months myself, but you're better able to discern if they have a turnover problem..or are merely growing and need experienced help.

Regardless, you are always more employable when you have a job and are looking (ones mindset is different, sort of like dating...once you are seriously dating someone, seems like there are a ton of others now available that you are not...jobs seem to go that way too).

Good luck either way.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the replies guys, today i will go for the interview, see what they say or what their expectations are. I know for a fact that the company is in the middle of a big conversion project and have a lot of work, a lot of OT in and weekend work. That very important to me, i have the time to put it and seriously save some money.
  • TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    a job is better than a no job...

transition from there
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, hope it all works out.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Be happy that you have at least have those offers.