voice setup

nutech444nutech444 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]What learning tools do I need in terms of books, lab equipment, cbts to deploy Cisco Voice for a small office of 50-100 users or so.Any advice?[/FONT]

Thanks in Advance!!!!!!

Comments

• nutech444nutech444 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have 2651xm with cme 4.1, fxo/fxs cards and two 7940s, If I learn how to configure this, how far will it take me with regards to my goal.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It depends on what you're trying to run it off and what level of features you require.

Your 2651XM can do 48 users. CME on a 2651XM would be an older version however. A UC520 can do up to 64. You'd need something like a 3700 or 3800 to handle 100. CallManager itself would easily do 100.
    How about voice mail?
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    What I'm seeing for CUCME and 100 phones is the 2851 supports up to 100 and the 3725 supports 144.

Tiersten, did they originally design the UC520 to only support 48 phones, then later offer a license for 64? Any ideas on that? I keep seeing tons of documentation saying it only supports 48 phones, but I do see that they sell a 64 user license.
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    What I'm seeing for CUCME and 100 phones is the 2851 supports up to 100 and the 3725 supports 144.
    I excluded the 2851 because it comes in at 96 phones which I guess is close enough actually :)
    Tiersten, did they originally design the UC520 to only support 48 phones, then later offer a license for 64? Any ideas on that? I keep seeing tons of documentation saying it only supports 48 phones, but I do see that they sell a 64 user license.
    Yeah. The 64 user option came in later. It didn't originally ship with that ability but was added in a software update. You need to get to 48 users first and then buy the 64 user upgrade.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The AIM-CUE will max out @ 50 users. You would need the NM for 100+
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    good info thanks guys! looks like nm cue is a cheaper option, I am confused with the terminology here what is unity express is the same as CME 4.1.
    Thanks, pitviper! I didn't know about that. I finally found a doc explaining the differences, but it says the AIM-CUE supports up to 65?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps5520/product_data_sheet0900aecd806aefe4.pdf

Glad we're having this discussion, I'm learning lots!
    CME(otherwise known as CUCME, or Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express) provides call processing, while Unity Express provides your voicemail and other features.
    Thanks, pitviper! I didn't know about that. I finally found a doc explaining the differences, but it says the AIM-CUE supports up to 65?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps5520/product_data_sheet0900aecd806aefe4.pdf

Glad we're having this discussion, I'm learning lots!

Don’t quote me on this, but I think it’s something like 50 user mailboxes, + 15 general purpose mailboxes for use with things like AA.
    How about the aim 30 module, does it support voice mail.
    Ah, here we go - Looks like they can be used for individual mailboxes as well = 65 total

General delivery mailboxes (GDMs) This feature provides storage for voicemail messages that any designated team member
    can retrieve to respond quickly to callers' requests, resulting in greater customer
    satisfaction. As an option, you can configure any licensed number of these GDMs as
    individual mailboxes, expanding the capacity of each license level from 12, 25, 50, 100,
    150, 200, and 250 up to 17, 35, 65, 120, 175, 225, and 275 individual mailboxes,
    respectively.
    nutech444 wrote: »
    How about the aim 30 module, does it support voice mail.

No, AIM-VOICE-30 adds DSP resources. It’s older technology, but allows a non-voice router to terminate something like a voice PRI using a native WIC slot and a VWIC-1MFT-XX module. Not used for voicemail.
    This thread highlights how desperately that Cisco need to simplify their voice offerings and documentation.
    Agreed. Thanks for the heads-up, Pitviper!
    I agree, anyone can get lost, they have so many different modules and cisco does not make it any easier with thier docmentation.

It there a lot of difference in the configuration of a CME 4.1 vs UC500. I know the cme 4.1 is cli based how about the UC500.
    nutech444 wrote: »
    It there a lot of difference in the configuration of a CME 4.1 vs UC500. I know the cme 4.1 is cli based how about the UC500.

You can use the CLI as well as the same commands to setup both – There are newer features on the UC that aren’t available in CME 4.1, but you shouldn’t be tested on any of them (just the fundamentals here). The biggest difference is that the Cisco Configuration Assistant GUI right now only works with the UC, which you will see a plenty if you’re planning on taking the CCNA:V test, plus the UC has UE voicemail builtin.
    Thanks pitviper, I have a nm 2v module looks like there is one more out there nm hd 2v the HD supports did and 4fxs cards.

Understanding Direct Inward Dial (DID) Voice Interface Cards - Cisco Systems