Options

Cisco VPN Settings ASA 5505

NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
I have a noob question, please be gentle icon_wink.gif

At my new job I have to configure a client laptop to have VPN access to their Cisco ASA 5505. The ASA 5505 and is already setup for site to site with their other location and client to site. Other laptop users are setup and it's working fine. I am trying to use the Cisco VPN Client version 5.0.05.0290 (I think this is what the other laptops are using). I installed it on my PC as a test. I put in the host WAN IP address and it's asking for a Group Name and Group Password. Where do I find this?

I can log into the ASA 5505 and I found the user "Waldo" in the user list (A prior tech was in the midst of getting him setup, but then left the company). There is no password set for him or anyone else.

....Yes, it would have been nice to get some Cisco training before I attempt it on a production network...oh well. icon_lol.gif

Thanks in advance!
WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    show run tunnel-group

will give you a list of connection groups created, but you won't be able to recover the password if it isn't stored somewhere else. You may need to create a second group to connect with or get ahold of the other pcf file for the time being.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    As a test, should I be able to connect to the VPN when the laptop is on the LAN? Neither of the laptops are connecting, so I can't say for sure whether or not this client to site VPN has worked lately. Both the users say they haven't used it in probably a year or so...

I created a new tunnel group for now. If I go through the VPN wizard, will it delete or overwrite any of the current VPN settings on the ASA 5505? or will it just add another connection (keeping all other connections)?
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    As a test, should I be able to connect to the VPN when the laptop is on the LAN? Neither of the laptops are connecting, so I can't say for sure whether or not this client to site VPN has worked lately. Both the users say they haven't used it in probably a year or so...

I created a new tunnel group for now. If I go through the VPN wizard, will it delete or overwrite any of the current VPN settings on the ASA 5505? or will it just add another connection (keeping all other connections)?

I know you can configure the ASA to accept connections on the inside interface but it's not recommended, and yes you can make multiple IPSec connection groups.