Lexus or BMW ?

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
Lexus IS300 or BMW 330Ci? what do you like? Same annual insurance rates.

Comments

• viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What are you nuts??? The BMW all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy me one too. icon_wink.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    viper75 wrote:
    What are you nuts??? The BMW all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy me one too. icon_wink.gif

Thats what I'm thinking. I have a Lexus right now & have had pretty good luck with it. But ya, theres something about a BMW though, no matter what series it is. Guy here at work has a Z8.
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    If you have a lexus, you will have a no worrie car really. Lexus = Toyota.

I can tell you from past experiance and from friends who own BMW's that you have to have a big pocket when it comes time for maintenance. I own a VW GTI and a late 90's audi (Yes, I love German cars especially Porsche icon_cool.gif and the maintenance is rediculous. If you have the money, get the BMW. But don't go cheap.... get the big boy edition...

M series baby! :D
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I love my Accord :) Easy to fix, great gas mileage, and doesn't look half bad. I'd rather spend my cash on more computer hardware ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I misconception that maintanace costs are high on BMW, I have a 352i 2003 model bought duty free, I recently had a service that cost me £80 ($150) and I love the car to bits, my fatherinlaw has a lexus is200 and hes had a few problems not to mention his last service cost him £600 ($1000) ouch!
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I own an accord as well. I love hondas because they are just so reliable. But as soon as the new BMW 3 series coupe comes out I'm getting it! So forget the Lexus and get the BMW. No offense to all you Lexus guys, it's still a nice car.
    I've also had an Accord (2000 coupe) and had excellent luck with no problems. The only thing is the insurance was as high or higher than my Lexus! When it comes right down to it, I'd rather sport the lexus & wood grain. I have heard BMWs have high maintenance prices, but they said that about my Lexus before the purchase & it hasn't been bad. I could see an "M" series costing an arm & leg though. I'm not ready for the "M". I'll stick with the 3 series & work my way up. icon_wink.gif
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    I misconception that maintanace costs are high on BMW, I have a 352i 2003 model bought duty free, I recently had a service that cost me £80 ($150) and I love the car to bits, my fatherinlaw has a lexus is200 and hes had a few problems not to mention his last service cost him £600 ($1000) ouch!

You are correct, it can go both ways.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:

lol. Nice find & link. Thats crazy & true. Anything that runs a windows os is vunerable. Like he said " brakes & engine?" uh oh icon_eek.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yeah, I vote BMW too, regardless of the OS, although maybe you would be able to troubleshoot the Lexus more easily, and if something goes wrong, all you probably need is a reboot, or "install the lastest service pack"...

Apart from Mercedes, a BMW is pretty much 'the' car to have over here at least for the general public. 'Over here' is about 50 miles from Germany where they are about 30% cheaper than over here... ('and' have no speed limit on some large highways icon_cool.gif I actually prefer the 3 serious over the 5, I like my large cars small, especially if they have the same engine ;)

I've seen only one Lexus so I can't really make a comparisson, but eventually I would go for the car that drives best, "It's the inside that matters". And although BMW might be expensive to repair, German cars don't break that fast, and they usually retain their value.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll stick to my V6 Suzuki 4x4 thanks icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I hate Beamers, and don't really like Lexus either, but I wouldn't spend my $$$ on a Break-My-Windows over priced. You can get a brand new Lexus for the cost of a used, or now known as "pre-owned" BMW. But for me, I'd buy a Chevy.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    BMW hands down! I remember when my brother brought a 330ci sport, fully loaded. That was when I was living in the UK, before I moved to the USA to live. We worked in the same IT dept and he ordered it online took a few months to deliver but he picked it up from his house! Then drove it into to work (City of London) boy that car can pull! icon_eek.gif Anyway that was 3 years ago now and he has never had a problem with it. One day when i get a good JOB I would like a M3 if I can afford it... icon_wink.gif

I drive a Pontiac Grandprix GP2, Silver, black leather, fully loaded... it's ok to drive haven't had any problems, I like the new Pontiac GTO! I wish BMW's were cheaper, here in the US when you get in an accident you pay $$$'s for part's and repairs.. so i got an american made car as it is cheaper to repair if damaged and cheaper for insurance too... I have always loved BMW's and VW's since being born in the UK...

Anway laterz!

D-boy
    I went & looked at both again yesterday. That BMW is alot nicer. While i was there I drove a Lincoln LS V8 manual. That thing cruised & hauled ass.
    A nice car worth every bang for it's buck is an Acura TL. My friend had one and it's so nice inside and it's quick with 260 HP. It's fully loaded for only $31,000. I kept telling him to get a bmw but instead he got this car.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Salaries and living conditions must be good for IT workers in other countries. I couldn't even afford to contemplate buying a Beamer although I'd love one.

How about a Lamborghini?
    Lamobos are nice, but I'd give my short IT career for a McLaren F1 or a Saleen S7.....Yes.......
    What happens when your get in a fender bender? lol
    Well, if you afford either one, you have repair money as well. But you're always looking to blame it on the other guy. If I had one, I would too. They cost around 300-600K, each.
    garv221 wrote:
    What happens when your get in a fender bender? lol

You just buy another one, that's all. Just kidding, that's what insurance is for and also going to the bars because even a slight ding sucks.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I must be the only one here who doesn't care about cars...

As long as it gets me where I need to go, I'm happy. icon_wink.gif
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't really care about cars either. Just as long is it is reliable and in good shape, I don't care. I would rather put the money towards my mortgage or student loans then an expensive car.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    With the rising cost of gas, the only things I care about are wheels, an engine, gas mileage, A/C, and a loud stereo system. Like I said, I love my Accord, but I'd happily drive a Civic too.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Just as long is it is reliable and in good shape, I don't care. I would rather put the money towards my mortgage or student loans then an expensive car.

You got that right!!! icon_eek.gif[/b]
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had an Accord a few years ago. It was my first car out of school.

It was an '87 and had 175,000 miles in it. I think I paid about $900 for the car. The engine blow at 200,000, and I bought a used engine and had it installed for another $750. The car had around 215,000 miles on it when I traded it.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    ajs1976 wrote:
    I had an Accord a few years ago. It was my first car out of school.

It was an '87 and had 175,000 miles in it. I think I paid about $900 for the car. The engine blow at 200,000, and I bought a used engine and had it installed for another $750. The car had around 215,000 miles on it when I traded it.

I had a 2000 accord untill I hit a deer doing about 85 mph. icon_eek.gif I still have a 90' accord with 225,000 MI on it. I use to use it to commute, intead of using miles on my Lexus, it got around 33 mpg..I almost bought another Accord because of the ease to maintain them. Change oil, change brakes & exhaust. Thats it.
    I lucked out on my current car. I wrecked my Focus in October last year (well, by wrecked I mean someone decided to take a left turn in front of me... when I had a green light.... flipping idjuts)

I picked up a 2000 Accord coupe with 26,000 miles on it for 14.5K. That car will last me forever ;)

The cool thing is, one of my roommates is a mechanic, and he specializes in Hondas. He can get any replacement parts I might need *real* cheap, and the labor will cost me a 12 pack. And in the event my engine blows, we've got 2 spares sitting in the garage hehe

And I know all about the deer man.... my first car was a 91 Geo Prizm (hand me down from the parents ;)) and I wrecked it coming around a corner and not one but *FOUR* bambi's were standing in the middle of the road. I bounced two of them off the hood and over the top of the car (missed the other two thank god). Cracked my radiator something fierce, I was lucky I was able to still drive it home. Since then, I've acquired something a passion for deer hunting.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    Sounds like you have quit the outfit going on. Its pretty hard to get upside down on a honda especialy for the good deal you got. I hit 4 deer in 2 months with my accord. One deer (bambi) skipped over the hood & landed on the trunk. Broke both of its legs. icon_eek.gif The other two ran into the side of my car & the final deer hit the front & proceeded to roll all the way down the left side of the car.