Options

What is the best way to study

rebelusrebelus Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
How are you doing everyone. Well the first thing that I wanted to know is what is the easiest way to study for the A+ test? I'm not really a book reader. So I got the study guide from another site for 220-302 and I wanted to know if you think this is a good way to study for the A+ Test. Please let me know what you think because I need to get this test in the next 2 to 4 months.

Comments

• Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome!!!

Well what I have to say is that if you want to be in this field you will need to become a "book reader". All the info. you will need for your certs. are in books. icon_study.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    Firegirl1508Firegirl1508 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say that it's important to break things up a little. If you're not a book reader - don't read all the time. You'll have to read some of the time, but if you find your concentration starting to wander try doing something else. Talk to people you know who are studying the A+ too, if you have an instructor maybe you could ask them to go through something with you.

And once you have some knowledge, actually looking at hardware can help a lot. There's nothing like hands on experience. I think if you break up the day though, it can make the reading a lot more bearable.
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I would say that it's important to break things up a little. If you're not a book reader - don't read all the time. You'll have to read some of the time, but if you find your concentration starting to wander try doing something else. Talk to people you know who are studying the A+ too, if you have an instructor maybe you could ask them to go through something with you.

And once you have some knowledge, actually looking at hardware can help a lot. There's nothing like hands on experience. I think if you break up the day though, it can make the reading a lot more bearable.

Good advice, Firegirl1508.

I must admit, when I first started with my certifications, I wasn't a "technical" book reader. Taking local classes at a community college helped me to refocus due to the fact that I was expected to read X amount by a certain date. However, what really helped was being able to do research, and finding information from different sources. Doing a Google search on certain topics pertaining to what you're currently studying, and looking at the different ways in which the information is presented helps. Information on this site, whether it be Technotes, practice exams, or the interaction with those who can share some of their experience are also a big help.

My point is this, don't just depend on reading what's in a book. Go out and use every resource available to you. Each little bit will add to your knowledge base, and will help you in achieving your goal. Good luck on your certification and study hard! icon_study.gif
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    There isn't an easy way to 'pass' an exam. To earn the benefit of a certification will require a lot of legwork on the part of the candidate.

1. Become familar with the objectives of the test you want to sit for
    2. Read some books to become familar with the terms and language of your particular brand of exam (Compita, MS, Novell, HP, etc..)
    3. Work in the industry or have a testing lab available so you can practice breaking and fixing things (parts are cheap to have a good exam for your initial tests of A+, NET+, MSCA type tests).
    4. Ask questions here when you are unable to clarify something on your own.

A big part of IT (assuming you want to participate in the IT field in some manner) isn't about having all the answers, but about being able to research the answers. MS has great information on their site - just need to know where to look :)

Good luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    Read the books, and if you pass the exam, you will enjoy reading books more. icon_wink.gif
    CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005