Rebooting after login

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a couple dell computers that are rebooting after my novell login. I can't figure out whats wrong with them...

Any suggestions?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you get any BSODs?
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nope. Just rebooting after you hit enter.
    CCNP R/S
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Is it profile specific?

Can you log in under another account and it works?
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    how about starting up in safe mode? If that goes ok, then it's likely a driver issue.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    how about starting up in safe mode? If that goes ok, then it's likely a driver issue.

This.

Most likely, NIC/Video Card driver issue. :)
    What would the driver issue be though? I checked out safe mode and everything went fine. No problems. I tried re-installing the network driver.
    CCNP R/S
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not related, but still a fun story... I once was a Jr. Instructor for a course that taught MCSE exam objectives. At the end of the course the students had to build a lab consisting of a multi-domain, multi-site routed environment. Once we confirmed they had completed all the objectives we, the Jr. Instructors, were allowed to break their labs. They had an hour to get them up and running. I would load batch files into the startup menu that would fource a reboot after someone logged in. It was relatively easy for them to find. But then I would force the reboot on another server and it got harder...

The hardest thing for them to figure out was when I would bootup BackTrack and use the RPC overflow exploit on their unpatched servers (Server 2003 no SPs at all). I'd load VNC remotely, I'd change their passwords, fubar their DNS, all from my Linux virtual machine. It was fun. Only one guy ever figured out that he needed to update the servers. He had no idea what I was doing, but some how managed to work out it was a security hole. Another hard one was only slightly unplugging their network cables. Just enough to not make contact, but not fall out. *sigh* good times...
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What would the driver issue be though? I checked out safe mode and everything went fine. No problems. I tried re-installing the network driver.

When did this start occuring? Have you tried rolling back the driver? It might have been due to an update... Do the Dell machines all have the same NIC?
    I'm guessing I'll have to roll back the driver to see.
    CCNP R/S
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, it could be any driver if it is indeed a driver problem. It could be a hardware failure as well, but it would be very unlikely to affect multiple machines simultaneously.
  • xtthewxtthew Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Start up your computer with "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure" or something similarly named. You get there by tapping the F8 key like you would to get to Safe-Mode. Instead of your computer restarting, you'll most likely a BSOD that could help you solve your problem.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Step #1: What recently changed on these computers?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    blargoe wrote: »
    Step #1: What recently changed on these computers?

absolutely nothing
    CCNP R/S
    I got another one for you.

Whenever I load Control Panel (Windows XP) I click on Add / Remove Programs. I get the BSOD.

Error;

Bad pool.

This is on a Dell GX760.
    CCNP R/S
    I got another one for you.

Whenever I load Control Panel (Windows XP) I click on Add / Remove Programs. I get the BSOD.

Error;

Bad pool.

This is on a Dell GX760.

It seems as though it's a USB error, which I have ran into before. But all that is plugged in is my keyboard and mouse.
    CCNP R/S
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Same computers?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    blargoe wrote: »
    Same computers?
    No the first batch of computers were GX755.
    CCNP R/S