Need router-in-a-VM recommendations

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
I'm attempting to recreate specific network topology maps using both a single and multiple ESXi servers. I'm currently looking at VM-able distros of router/firewall implementations, such as FREESCO, floppyfw, and IPCop to provide the routing functions in my virtual networks. Anyone have any recommendations from their own experiences with such distros and appliances?

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think freesco was the one I used one time when I was in a pickle, worked OK but I wouldn't want to set up anything too complex on it.

If you have a physical L3 capable switch lying around, you could always set up a trunk port on that switch and let it route your VM traffic. That's what we're doing in our lab at my office.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 for Vyatta.
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    Also check out MLN, which adds a layer of abstraction on top of Xen, VMware Server, or User Mode Linux. That extra layer lets you generate a complete internetwork by writing up a text file using blocks like the following for each host:

host tampa {
           superclass hosts
           network eth0 {
                   switch tampa
                   address 10.0.1.1
                   netmask 255.255.255.0
           }
           network eth1 {
                   switch lakelandTampa
                   address 10.0.3.2
                   netmask 255.255.255.0
           }
           network eth2 {
                   switch tampaOrlando
                   address 10.0.5.1
                   netmask 255.255.255.0
           }
    }

I used MLN and User Mode Linux to setup routing labs for one of my university's networking classes a couple years ago. Each host used a the same template filesystem that had network goodies like Quagga (routing protocol daemons), tcpdump and a web server pre-loaded.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    I'm trying out FreeSCO right now (and so far loving it), but I'll check out MLN too. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +2 for Vyatta.
  • jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    +1 for freesco

Ive been using it and its nice although there's a part that I havent done yet. Would you know how to set it up were it would point the DHCP to a particular DHCP Server? Someone told me about DHCP helper but couldnt find it.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Sorry, I've not used FREESCO with a DCHP server. Are you talking about having FREESCO forward DHCP requests to a specific DHCP server?

My next FREESCO challenge is to get it to startup faster. I need to get rid of the 8-second startup delay and that walking penguin graphic. I made a post to the FREESCO forums, but the response the author gave me was hardly a concise, step-by-step procedure. icon_scratch.gif
  • jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    Sorry, I've not used FREESCO with a DCHP server. Are you talking about having FREESCO forward DHCP requests to a specific DHCP server?

YES...I was trying to setup a Lab where I have DHCP server,DNS Im trying to study server environment but I couldn't manage to set it correctly to point to a dhcp server.
  • awgtekawgtek Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone know where to download the FreeSCO VM ?
  • crosariocrosario Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been using m0n0wall and pfSense as gateway/firewall for a few years with great success.

pfSense VM appliances:
    VMwareAppliance - PFSenseDocs

m0n0wall VM appliance:
    m0n0wall - Download

Give it a try!