Options

Issue with DHCP

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm hoping you guys can help me out with an issue I am having at work. We are trying to network our security system (door access, cameras, etc). Now the security company people are basically computer illiterate. What we have to do is assign an IP address based on the MAC address of the network card of the security system. The problem is the DHCP is not assigning the address to the card. It's Windows 2000. We've entered the MAC with the IP we wanted, restarted the DHCP service, and reset the power on the security device. Yet still unable to get an ip onto it. Any ideas?

Also, any ideas on how I can get the MAC of a nic card? Someone tore the sticker with the MAC address off of one of the other security nic cards. What sucks is we have linksys and netgear "business" switches so it's not possible to look at the ARP tables on them to see what MAC goes to the port. Thanks as always and did I mention I hate my job?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If it's not getting *any* IP address that makes me wonder if the DHCP request is even reaching the DHCP server at all. It should get some IP address, just not the one you wanted to reserve.

Stick wireshark on that network segment and you should be able to capture mac addresses for those other devices.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Jason0352Jason0352 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can't help ya on the DHCP issue but, the nic issue you could bring in a cheap cisco switch--hook it up--get the mac address.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With non-smart switches and no IP to begin with (to test from other hosts) you're looking at packet captures - presuming the switches won't span either use a crossover to directly connect to a PC and capture a few frames.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?