DNS confusion with domain and website

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Im troubleshooting an issue with a fellow consultant. Company A has the domain of companya.com. They can access any website except www|d0t|companya|d0t|com which is externally hosted. When we add a www host record of the public ip of www|d0t|companya|d0t|com to the internal authoritative dns server, they are able to browse the website. I know for sure the host record isnt necessary. There arent any internel iis servers that would be causing some sort of internal redirection. Thoughts on why the host record is needed to browse that website?

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Im troubleshooting an issue with a fellow consultant. Company A has the domain of companya.com. They can access any website except www|d0t|companya|d0t|com which is externally hosted. When we add a www host record of the public ip of www|d0t|companya|d0t|com to the internal authoritative dns server, they are able to browse the website. I know for sure the host record isnt necessary. There arent any internel iis servers that would be causing some sort of internal redirection. Thoughts on why the host record is needed to browse that website?

So you are using a split namespace? Where the company's ad domain name is the same as the company's internet domain name?

If their DNS server is hosting a zone for companya.com then no client will ever be able to locate a record for the web site unless you add the entry for www on their internal DNS server. You need to think about this logically. If the client PC queries for www companya com and the DNS server says, "Hey, I'm authoritative for that domain." It will NEVER attempt to look anywehere other than its own DNS zones for the www record.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So you are using a split namespace? Where the company's ad domain name is the same as the company's internet domain name?

If their DNS server is hosting a zone for companya.com then no client will ever be able to locate a record for the web site unless you add the entry for www on their internal DNS server. You need to think about this logically. If the client PC queries for www companya com and the DNS server says, "Hey, I'm authoritative for that domain." It will NEVER attempt to look anywehere other than its own DNS zones for the www record.

Shouldnt it forward the query to the public forwarder provided by the public dns host?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Not if the server believes itself to be authoritative for that zone. If your internal AD zone is the same name as the external zone then it would believe that.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    not if it authoritative for the zone companya.com when the DNS server is authoritative for a zone it feels it is the end all be all for that domain. for this is reason it is general best practice to name the internal network something such as companyA.Local as opposed to .com or net. if it is not hosting anything especially
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Another reason why I need to study for my MCSE. Thanks guys!