Options

Can you backup a small SQL database with Symantec without an agent?

nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
We have Symantec Backup Exec v12.5 Server Suite, and need to back up a small (under 10GB) database and don't really want to purchase an agent.

Will we be able to without purchasing the agent? (Yes, I know it's probably not the best way)

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I dont know if it has this option in it...but ive seen in acronis that you can issue command line prompts (to stop/start services in this instance) before and after the backup completes. If it has that option, then you can just just stop SQL service, run the script, backup, then start it back up.

If not, try the native backup. Its pretty easy.
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    is this msft sql or oracle? oracle you can backup to disk via rman and then use a standard remote agent to backup the file system (or backup to a share where you can back it up). similar for msft: create a maintenance plan and backup to disk --> follow the same logic for oracle.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just create a maintenance task in SQL Server and back up the database to the file system on the server, then back up the file with your normal nightly backup.

I never pay for the "database agent" for SQL Servers, SQL does a good enough job of backing itself up.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I never pay for the "database agent" for SQL Servers, SQL does a good enough job of backing itself up.
    If you don't mind gigantic file sizes :)

I prefer to use Quest LiteSpeed for SQL backups and then take a standard backup of those files.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good point, but I have plenty of storage space so it's all good. His database is only 10GB.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...