Options

VTP mesages through a router

mobrmobr Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am studying for my CCNP and have not been able to find an answer to a VTP set up on a home lab.

I have 2 switches seperated by a router. I have switch A set VTP server and swicth B set as VTP client but cannot get VLANs to update to switch B.

I have tried setting the router to the same VTP domain, version, password etc and also tried it in transparent mode but still i cant get any joy.

Surely there must be a way?

Thanks,

Mo

Comments

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Check your revision numbers.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Config the router interfaces to be in the same bridge group.Remove ip addresses etc and add the command "bridge-group 1" under each interface, this will allow traffic to be bridged transparently through the router.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Guys - thanks for the quick replies.

I think I may have mislead you a bit. What I should have said is that I have just passed my CCNA and have only started on the CCNP track so your patience would be very much appreciated.

To trunk from a switch to a router the only way I have been able to do this is by creating a sub interface on the router and encapsulating it as DOT1Q.

The router sub interface that connects to switch A has an IP address that switch A uses for its default gateway as part of its management address.

The router interface that connects to switch B has 3 sub interfaces ie router on a stick and again has IP addresses that hosts off swicth B use as their default gateway.

Do VTP messages only travel on layer 2 and if so is there not away of keeping my above config but allowing messages to traverse the router.

Cheers
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Sorry, read too fast and didnt see the router portion in the middle. Follow ed's advice and create a bridge group. Read this article by scott morris (i.e. networking god).
    TCPmag.com | Q and A: Configuring VTP Domains and Proxy ARP
    Yes VTP = L2 and uses a dest. mac of 01-00-0C-CC-CC-CC and any devices participating in a VTP topology should share a common L2 broadcast domain.
  • Options
    Cheers Jason,

I'm checking that link now

And thanks to both of you for taking the time to help those of us that are less advanced in the networking game.

regards,

Mo